1990 Splatter Lava Dome

NakedGav

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This started off as a badly listed & photographed ebay advert and resulted in a 5 hour round trip to Swindon to get it !
A classic case of lack of affection actually saving it as it was covered in a thick layer of grease that preserved a lot of it quite nicely. It's not in garage queen condition but then it's going to get ridden so that's ok :D
Unfortunately although the original tyres are present they're good for photographs only as the sidewalls have gone :(
The other downside is that the seatpost is too short for me to get the right saddle height so it won't be making it's first appearance at Cannock tomorrow after all :(
Spec as below

Frame: 1990 Kona Lava Dome
Fork: Kona Project 2

Headset: Sealed Tech
Stem: Kona ICR
Handlebar: Kona MTB Cromoloy
Grips: Foam

Brakes: Dia-Compe X-1
Cantilever cable hangers: Dia-Compe
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe Short Stop

Shifters: Suntour X-Press
Front Derailleur: Suntour X-1 Accushift Plus
Rear Derailleur: Suntour X-1 Accushift Plus
Derailleur Cables: Clarkes
Cassette: Suntour Accushift Plus 13/30
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Sakae SR X-1
Crank Bolts: Sakae
Chainrings: Sakae SR Powerings
Chainring bolts: Sakae
Bottom Tange Greaseliner
Pedals: LXT with Sakae Toeclips & MT Christophe Straps

Hub Skewers: Suntour
Rims: Sun Mistral M20T
Hubs: Suntour X-1
Spokes: Plain Gauge
Tyres: Joe Murray Maximum/Reaction
Tubes: Cheng Shin

Saddle: Avocet Racing
Seatpost: Kalloy SP242
Seatpost Binder: Suntour

Weight: Yes !

Attachments

• P1000928.JPG
    P1000928.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 3,021
  • P1000927.JPG
    P1000927.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 3,021
  • P1000926.JPG
    P1000926.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 3,021
Cool-----the black Suntour groups sets if off nicely. I'm not a huge Kona fan, but I love the older splattered ones.

Nice bike:D

Like the X-1 stuff too - you don't see much of that around. I think you used to be able to get flouro coloured bits for that groupset.

Bump - indeed you don't see much black X1 gear. I've just purchased a LD and need a X1 rear mech and dia compe x1 brake set (levers not needed). I've got a post on the wanted section but any assistance appreciated!

One question about this one, what is the brand, if any of the headset? Was it defo a no name one? I appear to have a Specialized one that's way too loose.

I had one of these in 1991 before it was nicked outside Kingston McDonalds.
I remember it was incredibly stiff with a very low riding position - very good on the road.
The Suntour stuff was really snappy and had much more meat than Shimano systems.
Looks like you've just slaughtered a pig next to it. Great bike.

It doesn't matter where they sit in the range, that splatter paint job makes Konas of that era as cool as flip. Love it.

Back