• Google+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another bike site

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction

Found this after posting a couple of other threads.

Please excuse me.

I used to ride a road bike for four years when I served my apprenticeship(in my youth)
it was a Raleigh Equipe? Gold and red probably retro in its own right now.

Have riddent it since on the London to Brighton bike ride as well as an early GT Timberline.

No longer own the raleigh and my boy uses the Timberline.

Now ride a Gt LTS 1000DS(slightly more mature now) mainly on the downs link and South downs way and have a STS in bits.
Also have a Mission Trialmaster 14" frame not into trialing but was going to use it as a hardtail as a great little frame but to small for me.

I have already posted a couple of other threads re mounting a Fox shock to the Gt and parts wanted.

No one has replied yet so feeling a bit like Billy no mates.

Sure I wll get there

Martin

dont be disheartened martin.......you have a world of friends here, and more bike knowledge than you can shake a $hitty stick at!....... :D

Good to be here!

Hello..

New here, but feel like I’ve been here for years. Its a great site and full of like minded people and pretty amazing rides! Feels like home.

Interestingly a friend introduced me to the site quite inadvertently..
We’ve been cycling together including racing for many years and whilst he still embraces the sport, I’ve not quite kept up with it and current 'trends'. So when he got in touch saying we needed to get
out on the bikes again saying he's upgraded i got curious.
He's got a nice new Santa Cruz full boingy thing and said I need to move with the times.
Basically sell my bike on a retro bike site and get up to date. And that’s when i stumbled on this place. After just a few minutes my smile was wider than the M1 and the thought of selling the bike went right out of the window!!!!

If you want to skip the total history, at least read the last paragraph on how I retired from the sport..

HISTORY

I started cycling early on with a Raleigh Striker that must've lasted me a good 8 years. Eventually outgrowing that, I found a few road riding friends who convinced me to get a Peugeot Aspin road bike. Over the next few years I rode pretty much every night until yet again I sort of outgrew (?!) the sport and got a little bored.. That was when mountain bikes were just starting to get popular and a school friend pointed me in the direction of Stif. He'd already taken the plunge (Kona Cinder Cone) and I soon followed suit with a Purple Lavadome. That, along with my purple and black Etto Hemet i was away.
Only, after a couple of months and heading of to college in the trusty stead, I returned from class to see all my chains and locks on the floor. A sad day!

Now a Stif groupie i was able to convice them to give me a quote for a Basic Orange Prestige LX. Within months i was out riding again.. In a pair of Red Iridium Frogskins too. I loved the whole MTB life.. Bula hats, purple anodising, exotic American parts. My prestige became something unrecognisable, but it still rode like a beast. Oh, and I got my first taste of Pace with the RC35AB forks.. a full 45mm of travel(I think I only got about 15mm).

Then the group of friends started racing, doing the races around Yorkshire: Halifax, Post Hill and Robin Hoods Bay spring to mind. It was a great laugh.

Then one Saturday afternoon i went for a haircut, left the Orange outside, and it 'went'. Nooooooo! I was gutted, but not one to dwell on things i checked my insurance police (which cost me £220 a year) and lo and behold i was covered. I religiously maintained a spreadsheet with my bike parts and weight on so it was easy to put a cost together. It seemed like every penny of pocket money went on the bike and the total racked up to a pretty decent amount. The insurance company dealt directly with Stif and by some miracle I could afford a Pace with Pace suspension and an XT groupset. Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Unfortunately it took a quite a while to get the bike and over the space of 6 months I took up drinking and i started getting the attention of girls.. By the time i got the bike i could barely swing my leg over the frame.

I only competed in one race after that and that was at Robin Hoods Bay. I was soooo bad i was lapped by just about everybody and my friends (for the first time ever) were beating me. Only, at the end of my 3rd lap of 4 they called me in and my race was complete. I came in 6th that day. 1 position off receiving a prize. My friends, they came in the twenties. I decided to retire at the top of the game!! lol (must've been the bike.. no one that bad could have a bike like that!!!)

That evening bike went away...

Its only recently come back out.. That’s where this post starts...

If you’re interested here's a facebook page i created..

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid= ... 518&v=wall

It shows the group (its me with the etto and curly hair).. as well as a decent picture of the Pace.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

5932951737_53e80d3179_b.jpg

Greetings!

Hi

I'm Malc from sunny Lancashire. I found this site about a year ago whilst looking for information about old diamondbacks. Fascinating reading.

I own a 1992 Diamondback Axis, which was my first bike. I'm thinking about selling it because I don't think I'll have the time/money to restore it unfortunately.

I rode it today for the first time in ages up Rivington near Chorley. Goes uphill like a sherpa on steroids!

I'll be posting pics in the 'how much....' section.

Cheers!

Ooops, just posted this as a new topic in the main forum by mistake. Sorry...

Hullo

Thought it was time to introduce myself after dropping in and out of this site for some time.

I have been mountain biking since 91 (first BSO was a Townsend Eldorado - 200GS, quality bullhorns!)

First 'Proper' MTB 92 Saracen Tufftrax - sadly sold to a mate years ago :cry:
Still got the DX Thumbies from it on a bike now :)

Had many bikes over the years - still have my 94/95 (I forget) Orange P7 in the shed - covered many miles, still going fine albeit needs a bit of work at the mo as have been too busy buying all the old bikes I couldn't afford BITD.

Currently have (not sure how to do the list thingy yet):

95 Stumpjumper
99 East Peak (my 'modern' full sus!)
95 Ballistic/Ritchey wcs NOS last years build (21 lb worth ?)
05 F400 Coda (modern and seldom ridden)
93 Saracen Sahara (not the old Tufftrax but frame sameish and nice colour) still building up.

Also have an assortment of frames I haven't built or bothered to sell yet, nicest of which is a KHS montana comp - sadly too small for me.

Tara for now

Hello all,

Thought i'd just introduce myself. Been reading this forum for a couple of months or so now.

Was looking for info on my Muddy Fox Challenger. I'm hoping to get it fixed and use for commuting to work in the next few weeks.

Had it since 1994, but been stuck in a garage for 5 years or so. I've not been able to find any info about it searching on the net. Was wondering if anyone on here had one or has got one?

John

Hello, another (old) newbie here, decided to drag my 91/2 ish Muddy fox out of the back of the garage and see if I could still ride it and the answer's yes, quick wizz up the towpath from Rodley to Shipley and back a couple of weeks ago and both the bike and my legs still work so an new pair of shorts purchased and just had the (wet ) weekend playing in Gisburn Forest, only did the blue run as I didn't want to cripple myself but had a blast.
Matthew :D

Hi all, yet another newbie here. Currently looking to get rid of my 2001 Merlin XLM to an appreciative owner who'll look after it as much as I have. It's breaking my heart to sell but I've a wedding to pay for! I'll still have my 1999 Orange E4 to blast about on, not quite in the same league as the Merlin but it's still a damn fine ride!

Hi

Im based in Scotland and ride an old stumpy and a diamondback axis-r.

Along with a couple of more modern machines now and again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back