1998 stumpjumper M2 Pro

Nice frame and I know it's a cheap build, but it looks awful. Are you sure you have the correct frame size for the Spesh and the Kona, or do you just like your saddle at a really low height?
Looking forward to seeing it all built up.

jupiter":bp1x86sl said:
Nice frame and I know it's a cheap build, but it looks awful. Are you sure you have the correct frame size for the Spesh and the Kona, or do you just like your saddle at a really low height?

The seat is far down for the build I think chap. Its a 19" inch frame and superstu is 6 foot 2/3 from memory!

jupiter":1cha7tpf said:
Thanks for that! Seat is only low for build, normally much higher - i'm just under 6'3.
I'm on a budget but I have sourced some nicer parts just not updated this yet. I have some manitou sx which it came with, a nos ritchey stem which is much nicer than the planet x one on this and some avid v levers which are new. Not a fan of the saddle which will go shortly. What do u think makes it look awful out of interest?

I'll take some photos this weekend with the better bits on it and hope I can change your opinion.

It's those blue forks, saddle and the stem! They are lovely frames, looking forward to the proper build.
It would look great as a singlespeed; Carboncycles exotic fork, Flite saddle, Thomson or Ritchey parts...

Fair play, I don't mind constructive criticism. It's only a mock up, have a really nice ritchey stem bought off here last week. That and the manitou sx's should make it look a lot better. Need to get a better saddle as well. To be fair I wasn't planning on having this bike so am now doing it up out of bits from my shed and chucking better bits on when I can.

Will take photos this weekend and you can tell me what you think when its done!

Well it's in singlespeed mode for now, which I am finding takes a bit of getting used to! Will definitely chuck some gears on it in due course, but there's upgrades I'd like to do sooner.

The planet X stem has been removed for a nice Ritchey NOS from a fellow RB'er

2094098f-c621-4417-861a-f9f0412be341.jpg

Here's a poor picture from when I went out this morning

85108298-0119-42a8-abf4-cf027e637049.jpg

Immediate priority is the wheels - the ones on there are fine as hack wheels but they're ugly as hell and i think they need servicing. On the look out for some nice ones on here but the only ones which seem to come up are well used or very expensive with little in between :?

The saddle needs to go and ideally i'd like some silver bars to match the stem and seatpost. Talking of the seatpost, it's a functional long Kalloy but it deserves something much nicer. Oh and I forgot how badly the velociraptors grip so may look for something better to replace them.

Plenty left to do then, but once the wheels are bought i'd feel like I'm a lot further along.

I'm probably the only one who likes the blue forks, they clash horribly but rigid the frame looks better with curved forks and they're reasonable quality. Will probably switch with the Manitous eventually although I'm also on the lookout for some SIDs.

XT front and XT front and rear mech's sourced, together with XT v brakes, all of which were stock on the bike (except an XTR rear mech).
Have also picked up a madison flux saddle - modern admittedly but I prefer the feel.
More importantly I have picked up some lovely LX / Mavic wheels in grey with black rims, should save a load of weight and be much stronger and more aesthetically pleasing.
Looking out for some SIDs or bombers as I want to add some spring I think.

Hopefully get these bits added soon and it'll look much nicer. Photos coming soon.

Back