REAR SHOCK: COIL/AIR?

Are you not getting a little deep here?

What is your weight? Look at all the bikes that sell with RP2 and RP23 shocks. There must be thousands of the things about. If you honestly think you won't be able to set one up to suit you with the myriad guides on the net then I think you should give up and buy a rigid bike.

BertR00t":17jsi001 said:
Are you not getting a little deep here?

What is your weight? Look at all the bikes that sell with RP2 and RP23 shocks. There must be thousands of the things about. If you honestly think you won't be able to set one up to suit you with the myriad guides on the net then I think you should give up and buy a rigid bike.

Pretty much what I was going to say - from the look of you on your photos I would say you weigh what? - 70kgs? Any person that weight is going to be able to set sag on a production bike to suit them.
Or just stick to hardtails - some people just don't like the feel of rear suspension at all, no matter how well set-up.

Manufacturers.....

Manufacturers.......... There surely is....... Many of these rear AIR SHOCKS on many mass produced bikes.

But we live in a contrived world. Were nearly everything is a paradox (Something negative, when we expect something positive, something good), a contradiction, or a trade off (The rear sus works, but not as good as we'd like it too).

I don't weigh alot (Less then 11 stone) and I don't ride really rough terrain, to give you an idea, riding my local terrain I'll get 8cm travel on my suspension front forks COIL/ELASTOMER ROCK SHOX JUDY II. Now knowing manufacturers, the MAX of these rear air shocks, maybe too LOW.

What do I mean? Over the next few years, we are bound to see further refinements to current rear air shocks, after being unimpressed by what's on offer at the moment, I know if I just bought a bike from the internet just on reading the specifications, I'm bound to be disappointed by the ride and too soft travel of the air shocks. Unlike hardtails whereas GEOMETRY doesn't differ much, just groupset, forks, frame weight/rigidity and price.

In my local bike shops, the full sus xc MTB's (Ghost, GT, Cannondale, Kona, Cube, Scott, Carrera) they don't have 16" (Or less) , just 18" or larger, and the rear shocks are too soft:
~ I ask can they set them up, they say what size you want, 16"
~ I ask if they have a smaller model, the reply is NO.
~ But we can order a 16" or small, but only if you pay for one here and now.

Obviously I'm not going to buy a bike if the shock is too soft, and they won't set up the larger model rear shock to give me an idea if it would be OK for me, because it wouldn't be the size I'd get.

A viscous circle, perhaps.

I could drive to non local bike shops that carry/have 16" or smaller in stock, but these are 150 miles each way.

Conclusion: That's along way to travel, to just sit on a bike!

Ha ha, no joke intended.

Max of rear shocks too low? What do you mean? Stroke length is irrelevant as it depends on how the pivots work. On my Trek my shock is 190 by 50 and the pivot is 2.4 to 1 giving a travel of 120. As previously stated I am around 15 stone and my RP2 when pumped to the recommended pressure is perfect.

Alright, if it is alright!

Great for you. Like most things when they are adequate, great leave them the way they are.

But when they're not adequate:
Be unsatisfied?
Replace with something else, but what? and at what cost?

And another Paradox:
Change my hardtail bike, just to have a full sus?
Enough though those available appear at first glance appear to be soft.
A large compromise at over £1000, just to have a full sus.
For me it's a nice to have, not a must have

A btming out full sus would be less rideable then my decent hardtail.

I'll wait till 2012 or 2013 see what they're like then, as at the moment they're definitely not bargain prices, starting at £1000+, I think bike manufacturers are asking a bit much, at the moment.

FFS mate - at 11 stone, ANY air shock on the market can be pumped up to enough pressure for it not to feel soft for you.

Several people have already told you this but you seem hellbent on not listening or reading anyone elses posts but instead posting more and more unintelligible drivel that has nothing to do with the subject matter at hand!

I see that you've already been banned from the BikeRadar forums for continually SHOUTING in your posts, asking pointless questions and pretty much ignoring the replies and advice you have so very kindly been given - maybe there's a lesson to be learned here?

;)

Thanks......

People, people, you will the kids cry, but thanks for being so concerned on
What Bike...... I'll get

And when.........

Blah blah the bike shop, have you got it in my size? can I take it for a ride?

Doesn't sound out of the question, does it?

Still some people, not what you'd expect, at the least.

Think this, think that, what would you want to change, and why, but look at this, at this, etc. Sound familar.

Anyway, whatever type of REAR SHOCK you end up going for, a more important question is:

a) Tyre choice
Tubeless/UST
[ii] THIN/LOW ROLLING RESISTANCE and/or FAT/BETTER GRIP/HEAVY

:?:

Your non-sensical rambling is ace. You should definitely mix it up by varying the font size and colour. Keep up the good work!

Back