Ambleside Weekender "BDW III"

Big Dirty Weekender Report Part 3

w23 by Si's photos, on Flickr

After a little negotiation everyone ended up with food. No blood or beer spilt. After a pleasant hour of chat out in the sun and a few running repairs, we were once again underway. Heading south now, we made our way into the bottom of Little Langdale, taking narrow tarmac which soon turned into gravel and then water- puddles up to the axles. MrLee took the plunge through the river at the lane end whilst the grown ups took the foot bridge. Hats off to him, as he did the same last year only to fall off mid-crossing.

w24 by Si's photos, on Flickr

w25 by Si's photos, on Flickr

w26 by Si's photos, on Flickr

Now it was time for the jewel in the crown. We made our way up the slate heap beside the bridle and into the void that is Cathedral Cavern. You have to experience it to understand its majesty. Photos cannot do it justice. I stood just inside the main chamber after the first tunnel just to catch the looks on peoples faces as they rode in. Most people just about managed a few swear words.

w27 by Si's photos, on Flickr

w28 by Si's photos, on Flickr

w30 by Si's photos, on Flickr

A quick game of pass the bike and a spot of free climbing had us up into the open quarry above the cavern. After a few more pics and a little exploring for the first timers, we made our way toward the entrance of the main tunnel that would bring us out the other side of the hill. We stopped half way along the tunnel to take in the side chamber which is just off to the left along another tunnel. This chamber is as big as the other but is a little unsafe these days, so after a quick lights off experience, we once more made our way further underground. The tunnel gets lower as you go along and at this point Ed Orange tore the camelback from his arched shoulders, spilling its contents along the floor. In a scene reminiscent of a Skooby Doo episode where Velma looses here glasses, Ed scrambled about in the dark looking for his kit whilst everyone backed up behind in the tunnel. Eventually we made it back out into warm sunshine and set about rebuilding his back pack with zip ties.

w31 by Si's photos, on Flickr

w32 by Si's photos, on Flickr

w33 by Si's photos, on Flickr

A steep, rooty, technical decent had us back down onto the bridle and a quick spin toward Ox Fell. A few sharp little climbs over loose slate followed and then again descending along entertaining double track with some nice little rock drops to catch out the unwary and entertain the brave. A tarmac burst with another teasing climb and then straight into a brake burning decent dropped us straight out at the foot of the bridle that would take us up to Iron Keld. This climb is a killer for tiring legs. I happily pushed up whilst ElPed and Harry Crumb shot off like scalded cats up the techy climb. After what seamed like an age, we were finally at the top of what would be the longest descent. And what a descent it was. Kudos to those riding rigid bikes with cantis. It’s fast and furious all the way down. Two and a half miles of gravity fuelled fun later and we gathered at the bottom full of tales of near misses and offs.

w34 by Si's photos, on Flickr

w35 by Si's photos, on Flickr

Back in the groove and onwards and up again. This time on a busy tarmac B road for a half mile. Thankfully the entrance to the woods appeared on our right and after a quick regroup we plunged down a really entertaining stretch of singletrack at high speed. As ever, it was too short and we once again we faced another climb over the roots to gain height for another little sharp descent. A mix of tarmac on quiet country lanes and more woodland singletrack, before a final stretch alongside the slate quarry we had visited some hours prior had us back at the pub from which we had started several hours before. The Lakes claimed another puncture in the last 50 yards which will leave MrLee looking for a new tyre to match.

w36 by Si's photos, on Flickr

w37 by Si's photos, on Flickr

w38 by Si Jackson's photos, on Flickr

w39 by Si's photos, on Flickr

w40 by Si's photos, on Flickr

w41 by Si's photos, on Flickr

The weather held out all day, the trails were fantastic and apart from the first hour or so we were pretty much alone and away from tourists. Craic was first class as ever and I’m sure everyone will agree that it was indeed another Grand Day Out!

A huge thanks to all that came along. As ever, as I have said many times before, any fool can draw a line on a map and name a date. It’s the folk that turn out and ride that make these events special. Thanks again to every single one of you for making it a very special weekend.

An extra large thanks to my wingman and new NE&Yorks Guv Kaya for all his help and support over the weekend and during the run up. An absolute gentleman of the highest order.

w42 by Si's photos, on Flickr

Next year’s Weekender will take place in June or August and for the first time visit Snowdonia. See you there.

Si

Fantastic review of the day Si and superb pics as always, I think the sun has gone to your head thou "me Guv" thats your job mate ;)

see ya all at Drumlanrig :cool:

kaya

Good to see everyone again at yet another great event, this year managing to ride on all three days (owch..) with some stunning views on the way round, especially from the caves on Saturday and from the top of Grisedale on Sunday. On the way round I was witness to some fantastic retro riding skills, which pushed the boundaries of what I thought was possible on a push-bike :shock: your new names are "uphill Martin" and "downhill Vern" :LOL:

With thanks to Si, Vern & everyone else who organised it and to Pete for sorting out my spd's after taking pity on me from falling off twice :oops: (although a bit disappointed with the lack of hat wearing this year :LOL: )

As usual my camera (aka phone) ran out of batteries before I could take any pics, but did manage to get one of the "team marin" steeds..

Attachments

• Photo-0011.jpg
    Photo-0011.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 490
Gutted at missing a super weekend - was up in Bowness a few weeks earlier with the Kila...

Waiting for the ferry...

Attachments

• IMG_0193_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0193_edited-1.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 482
Back