Singlespeed Epiphany

Someone said "You have to work hard all the time - either pedalling or trying to conserve momentum by fast, smooth cornering" is true, but I would like to add that you need to ride with your head a lot more. It's also about free-wheeling with a SS at the right times to conserve energy ready for the sprints up and over short steep climbs or technical bits to keep you flowing - there is no lazy lever or panic button to fall back on so it teaches you how to "read" what's up ahead and deal with it the best way.

In general, simply study your gearing patterns and make a reasonable judgement if the conditions allow SS. Ditching all the extra weight and carefull choice of tyres AND routes seems to go a long way in getting a positive SS experience.

Personally though, I use a SS for a work / urban hack ( http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156600 ) and a SS when the mud and snow comes to reduce bike failure chances to a minimum. In between it's a 2 x 9 since dry conditions will allow more top speed on descents, and thus a bit more thrashing ..... so no I'd keep a full stable :)

I have gears on the smoke , all seven of them . People seem to think I'm some kind of singlespeed mentalist , but hassling the xc guys on my way home wouldn't be as relaxing if I couldn't just cruise past them in jeans and a tshirt while just turning the gear over .

It is fun being quicker than most other people while out riding with a group . Even more so when every other bike is a full suspension one with allll the gears .

"What happens when you want to go uphill ? "

I pedal harder :cool:

" and what about downhill ? "

I pedal faster :LOL:

I do tend to take offense at my bike being called a " fixie " :x I'm clearly coasting , uphill , faster than you . I also prefer the term single ratio , single speed seems to imply slow :x

Best quote I've seen is " I like to ride my bike , not operate it "

Please put a tensioner on that Soulcraft. It might not have jumped yet, but it will.

Back