Great big Singlespeed thread!

here are mine :roll:

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture017.jpg

cheers

stubbsy :D

hi,

I am thinking of converting one of my bikes to ss for commuting, so road and canal tow-paths, what size chain ring and cog would suit? I have read that generally for a mountain bike a ratio of 2:1 is advised but would this be appropriate for commuting or should I be looking at something else?

Cheers
Dave

It depends on many factors, terrain, fitness, surface, speed you'd want to travel etc.

Tow paths are pretty flat. 2 to 1 is a good start on a MTB but you doing the same journey over and over gives you a perfect choice.

Make a concious effort to keep a current bike in one gear only that suits you, if it doesn't try the same journey in a different gear. Once you've found an ideal count the teeth and use that.

stewlewis":1ur11q1e said:
It depends on many factors, terrain, fitness, surface, speed you'd want to travel etc.

Tow paths are pretty flat. 2 to 1 is a good start on a MTB but you doing the same journey over and over gives you a perfect choice.

Make a concious effort to keep a current bike in one gear only that suits you, if it doesn't try the same journey in a different gear. Once you've found an ideal count the teeth and use that.

I found that REALLY hard. I kept forgetting and changing gear :roll:
I've only just thought about it, but what about taping up your shifters so you can't easily change gear. I think that would help to really simulate SS (if you're as undisciplined as I am).

I just went for it, and although I got the gear wrong on my first attempt, it was MUCH easier than I thought it would be.

Back