MOTOR CHAT

Bullpup":5h93fijg said:
Ah proper engine at last. Sorry to be a damp squid but is the disco engine not the low compression/output version?

Ah, never thought of that :? , will check the engine code.

24V Cossie motor is nice but would never sound like a V8 ;)

Bullpup":3p5jemfy said:
Ah proper engine at last. Sorry to be a damp squid but is the disco engine not the low compression/output version?

Just researched the engine number, it's a 36D****** listed as a 1988 onwards factory 3.9 unit, 9.35-1 compression, was used in Range Rovers, Discoverys, Morgans and TVR's (with 9.8 compression), my motor is date stamped 1996.

Should hopefully make loads of noise and make the wheels go round fast anyway :)

Got my eye on a pair of TVR manifolds (forward facing ones) and Y piece at the moment, just need to persuade the guy to post them if i buy them.

Had an interesting moment at 70mph on the motorway: big clunk, some more bad noise then a total lack of power. AA guy reckons the engine's seized so unless anyone has a magic bullet for that i'm on the lookout for a new one :(

Anyone got any tips on sourcing a 3.0 mitsubishi v6?

has it seized due to lack of oil ? :?

sports car breakers in newbridge had a few shoguns in a couple of months ago , might be worth a try ;)

Nope, plenty of oil. The AA guy said he'd no idea why it seized, but to be honest he spent a total of about 3 minutes looking at the car and wasn't interested once he saw it wasn't getting fixed at the roadside.

I'll give the newbridge lot a try, any idea what I should budget for purchase and fitting of the new engine?

Rumble":3vd49dxn said:
...but to be honest he spent a total of about 3 minutes looking at the car and wasn't interested once he saw it wasn't getting fixed at the roadside.
Mmm... did it sound terminal to you at the time?

No offence to the AA guy, but if I wasn't certain, I'd get a second opinion before considering a major organ transplant.

if the engines done then budget yourself at least a grand for finding & having it fitted :(

for that kinda money you'd be better looking at finding another jeep :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-Mitsubis ... 3369c036e3

like tam said , get a second opinion before you start looking for an engine :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Been hunting around and looks like I could take a punt on an ebay engine for not much more than £300-400. Just need to figure out where I could get it fitted and for how much before I hit the button. Still need to get a 2nd opinion mind, but the more I think about it the more i'm sure the original engine's goosed.

Looking for a cheap to run second car, the cheaper the better but would be doing 50 miles a day so something reliable too. Im clueless so any suggestions would be welcome.

Back