Replacement rear shock

shaunpalmer

Dirt Disciple
I have a 1998 Marin Rift Zone, which has the original Marin labeled "Shock Works" shock, which no longer seems to dampen.

Has anyone got experience of the "X Fusion Glyde" or "Marzocchi Roco F", as I wondered if either of these would be a comparable replacement.

i used/still have on an old frame, an x fusion 02 (rl?) which i was very very impressed with
by no means an inferior product because they arent so well known

marz shock, the roco's rate most excellently (bill and ted)

you could have a look at mtbr pages also ;)
dont take it as the bible though
every user has a different experience

Thanks. Yes I checked mtbr as well, reviews look good, just wondered about fitting and comparisons with the Marin shock.

I seem to have the inverse problem to everyone else at getting the shock out.

I can get the swing arm end out no problem, just lightly tapping a metal rod on the end of the threaded rod it drops out and that end is loose.

However undoing the hex / allen key bolts on the frame end is fine, but the shock and bushings seem to be very tightly fitted and dont seem to want to work loose from the frame.

Has any one else had this problem, any advice appreciated, as I don't want to damage the frame forcing it ?

shaunpalmer":1431qaop said:
However undoing the hex / allen key bolts on the frame end is fine, but the shock and bushings seem to be very tightly fitted and dont seem to want to work loose from the frame.

Has any one else had this problem, any advice appreciated, as I don't want to damage the frame forcing it ?

I've recently removed a Shockworks coilover shock from a '98? Wolf Ridge. The pivot-pins at both ends of shock were seized in the bushing spacers and were very difficult to move. Like you I didn't want to damage anything. Sprayed WD40 on both ends then for the swing-arm end (I know you've removed yours) I alternately slackened and tightened the nuts on pivot-pin to pull the pivot-pin from side to side till it loosened up.
With the front I tried slackening the allen bolt, on drive side, a little bit then carefully hit it with tool number 1. Didn't move. So used the same technique of slackening/tightening the bolts side to side to get pin moving. Take the large alloy cone-shaped washer/mounting and turn it round so that recess for bolt head is facing pivot-pin, to allow pivot-pin to move. Once it was loosened a bit, knocked it out.

I'm also going to replace the coil-shock with a Rockshox SID, 185mm i2i. Won a 190mm i2i SID off eBay which is too long and would hit frame at full extension, but have the correct length SID on my wife's bike. So will change them over and dial in a little more sag on my wife's bike, no problem as shock can't hit frame.

Writing this reminds me I've not tightened the swing-arm pivot bolts and I've now fitted the crank set. :oops:

Edit to say instead of using the pivot-pin bolt, I used a USE seat-post clamp bolt (with socket as spacer) to pull pivot-pin from side to side, then hit that to drive it out. Didn't want to risk damaging the pivot-pin bolt.

I've ordered the bargain "Marzocchi Roco F" from Chain Reaction, so watch this space.

Thanks for the tips on the frame, I'll try again tonight if I get time.

I got the old shock out and went to fit the new one.

I tried the old Marin lower bush spacers and they are too loose (Marzochi is 12mm wide, and the old Shock Works is 13mm ish), and the supplied top bush spacers are right at 21mm but have 6mm holes, and I have a 8mm mount.

So looks like I need to get some new bush spacers, and its seems Marzocchi bushes are not easy to come by.

Aare other shocks the same size now - 12 mm, and could I use bushings made for another manufacturers shock ?

I need 35mm x 8mm and 21mm x 8mm for a 12mm wide shock.

It looks like I can get Fox 35.08mm and 21.08mm, but the later only in 6mm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/110649271557

Can anyone please advise?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just discovered this post had a rock shox rear knocking about but can I hell get the old shock off, undone 2 x 10mm securing bolts, wd40 and blowtorch, will the thread bar move, no. Not sure how to get it out,
Tried hitting one side of thread bar and still won't budge.
Help needed

Back