REAR SHOCK: COIL/AIR?

WEIGHT & LONGEVITY with RIDE QUALITY

It appears AIRSHOCKS are lighter then COILSHOCKS.

Currently my concern with AIRSHOCKS is that you might NOT be able to get your airshock HARD enough (IE. It may be too SOFT, even at max pressure, I have reached this conclusion by only sitting on a number of full sus MTB's I was considering buying, but I'll wait a year or 2, until these airshocks are more firmer/harder.)
Also AIRSHOCKS will need more maintenance (IE. Need pumping up often, and air seals may need replacing far before a coil shock needs attention or replacing).

I asked ROCHSHOX, FOX, MARZOCCHI and SR SUNTOUR, and here is the PROFESSIONAL reply from SR SUNTOUR:

"Hi Stephan

All air shocks may leak air over time, but the air seals are generally fairly reliable and you should not need to reinflate the shock on a regular basis. The shock should not leak any air over the duration of a ride unless there is a fault with an air seal or valve. Obviously the internal seals wear over time and will need to be replaced occasionally, but you should get a season’s riding between servicing.

You will need a shock pump to inflate an air sprung shock or fork. These pumps are designed specifically for low volume/high pressure, unlike a tyre pump which is designed for inflating high volume/low pressure. All of the current air shocks on the market will use schraeder type valves and all shock pumps should be compatible.

I see you have a UK email address. If you live in UK the local distributer you should contact is sales@fisheroutdoor.co.uk. Most bike shops should be able to answer these types of queries too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ian Williams

SRAM Technical Support

Cape Cycle Systems (PTY) LTD"

I'm a big fat bastard. My TALAS rear shock pumps up plenty well enuff to cater for my elephantine bum.
icon_salut.gif

Is there an actual point to any if this?

If you're worried about which one will work best, then test ride some bikes with different shocks on.

Nice use of random capitalisation and bold text btw ;)

AIRSHOCKS: TOO SOFT? EVEN IF LIGHTER & PRETTIER?

AIRSHOCKS: TOO SOFT? EVEN IF LIGHTER & PRETTIER? NEED MORE REGULAR MAINTENANCE then COILSHOCK?

Maybe....

Thanks you like my grammer and use of font styles, how about colours, RED perhaps.......

Glad it isn't just me that was wondering about these posts.

I run a Fox RP2 and weigh around 15 stone ad it works a charm. Just use the manual and pump up to their recommendation for your weight then fine tune.

You do realise that you're on retrobike...?

:shock:

I'm more concerned that the carer doesn't know this chaps online whereabouts :LOL:

Sorry fella , unduly harsh . As Mike says , what are you on about ?

I'll make you a damn fine offer ; I'm " in the trade " as it were , with around 17 years riding and fettling experience with an interest that spans far greater than that . Ask me 5 very specific questions and I will endeavor to answer them to the best of my ability . I wouldn't be surprised if others chimed in too . We tend to be a very helpful bunch here but we need specific questions .

FOX's email reply to my question:

Here is FOX's reply to my original question:

"It is not normal for an air shock to lose pressure throughout a ride. In most cases air shocks will hold the same pressure for months even years. Air shocks do require slightly more maintenance than a coil shock, but are more easily adjustable and much lighter than a coil shock. All FOX air shocks are inflated with a Schrader valve and you will need a high pressure pump to inflate them.

Thanks,

Tom Karambela

Customer Service and Aftermarket Sales

Bicycle Division

FOX Racing Shox

www.foxracingshox.com

http://service.foxracingshox.com"

Re: WEIGHT & LONGEVITY with RIDE QUALITY

srands":1unf9uak said:
It appears AIRSHOCKS are lighter then COILSHOCKS.

Currently my concern with AIRSHOCKS is that you might NOT be able to get your airshock HARD enough (IE. It may be too SOFT, even at max pressure, I have reached this conclusion by only sitting on a number of full sus MTB's I was considering buying, but I'll wait a year or 2, until these airshocks are more firmer/harder.)
Also AIRSHOCKS will need more maintenance (IE. Need pumping up often, and air seals may need replacing far before a coil shock needs attention or replacing).

Airshocks are as tuneable as air forks are -you're not limited to one spring rate. If they're blowing through their travel too easily (too linear a rate) this can be changed. This is all part of normal suspension tuning, whether forks or shocks the principles are still the same.

Coil sprung shocks and forks are easier (in my experience) to set-up to be really plush and buttery smooth as they don't suffer from as much seal stiction as air versions. There is, however, a weight penalty (steel being heavier than air...). You pay your money, you take your choice......

I do think however that you're bothering far too much about this - just use one or the other and get out and ride. There are plenty of people heavier than you and me (and who ride harder than you and me too) who use air shocks and have no trouble other than routine maintenance (like everything has to have).
So you might have to check air pressures before a ride (like with air forks). It's not really any harder than checking tyre pressures, is it?
It's just part of riding bikes ;)

INFLATED/ADJUSTED to individual weight/riding style

TOO SOFT IN THE SHOP? (DEFLATED SHOCKS on DISPLAY BIKES):
After getting on these bikes, my immediate thought was thought: I was disappointed, as the REAR SHOCKs felt too soft.

However these stock display bikes, might have needed their rear shocks inflating, I can't imagine the sales/bike mechanics make it a periodical thing to work round all 50 display bikes (Every now & again), and pump up their shocks, so browsing customers are satisfied they are firm enough (I am making comparison to COIL/ELASTOMER rear shocks which feel more progressive, and the only adjustment these need is the adjuster lock ring).

BUYING A FULL SUSPENSION MTB WITH AIR SHOCKS:
I have 2 thoughts on this
1) I would buy a quality full sus xc MTB, set up the rear shock, and be ecstatically happy with the ride and adjustability of the rear/front shocks.
2) I would buy a quality full sus xc MTB, set up the rear shock, and be unhappy that the rear shock is too soft even when inflated to the max, when set to DH setting.
Obviously "I could moan to the bike shop that the rear shock is TOO SOFT", but unless the bike shop are highly likely to say if there is no fault with the rear shock, they wouldn't replace it, and they'd probably suggest for me to buy another rear shock.

But have you seen the prices of rear shocks? Here are the prices for those specced to the bikes I'm looking at (In £ GBP):

GHOST ASX: REAR SHOCK: FOX X-FUSION E1R AIR (£300), FORKS: RST TITAN AIR LO (?£?)
CUBE XMS: REAR SHOCK: SUNTOUR EPICON (£125), FORKS: MANITOU MINUTE LTD AIR (£300)
TREK FUEL EX 5: REAR SHOCK: FOX FLOAT RP-2 (£460), FORKS: ROCK SHOX RECON GOLD TK (£385)
SPECIALIZED CAMBRO CAMP: REAR SHOCK: FOX TRIAD II (?£?), FORKS: FOX F120 RL AIR (£580)
CANNONDALE RZ ONE TWENTY 4: ROCKSHOX MONARCH 3.1 (£200), FORKS: ROCKSHOX RECON SL COIL (£303)

Back