Boardman Cougar team GAN replica-ish

Great sounding project and some tidy photos, in particular the young Herring in full GAN kit.

As JV had above, Simplex Retrofrictions are a great option if you get frustrated with compatability issues (or are a ham fisted mechanic like me). To badly paraphrase KB, simple, cheap, light - what's not to love?

Any photos of the actual frame you've got?

back in the day Ed i was the full on racing wippet!! :D

i must admit i like your suggestion of "ham fisting" the build!! :LOL: which with the compatibility issues might be the way forward!!

oh and as i'm about to post frame pictures feel free to move this over to readers rides!

anyway here's the pictures, i haven't so much as touched it with a cloth to clean it yet but the paint is pretty tired when up close, also the stickers are a bit of a mess aswel as some pretty bad stone chips in places.

the frame number is 7793 which suggests 1993 as the build year which sounds right, the paint design is the same as my original gan team paint even down to my choices or chrome right hand chainstay and drop outs and fork tips, you had to pay extra for that at the time. going from memory this frame and fork would have retailed for around £650-700 when new and i got it for £65 posted!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

anyway here's some pictures

Attachments

• cougar1.jpg
    cougar1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 5,072
  • cougar2.jpg
    cougar2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 5,072
  • cougar3.jpg
    cougar3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 5,072
  • cougar4.jpg
    cougar4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 5,072
more :D

Attachments

• cougar5.jpg
    cougar5.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 5,071
  • cougar6.jpg
    cougar6.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 5,073
  • cougar7.jpg
    cougar7.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 5,073
  • cougar8.jpg
    cougar8.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 5,073
more :D

Attachments

• cougar9.jpg
    cougar9.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 5,200
  • cougar10.jpg
    cougar10.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 5,200
  • cougar11.jpg
    cougar11.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 5,200
When it comes to ham fisted I'm the goddamn butcher.

That looks a very good find indeed for £65 posted, will look forward to seeing it built and ridden.

Oh, and just one more justification for Simplex Retrofrictions is that BITD they were often interlopers to otherwise pure groupset builds - full Super Record with Retrofrictions was a build choice of many (this is also my paltrty justification for various lash up builds but that's another story).

andy, you could be my helpful friend!! :D :D

if he has any idea about spec that would be cool, the early bikes mainly :)

is yours the one from tears for gears that John posted a link to?

actually thinking about it i think you posted a thread on it as it was an ex team bike wasn't it?

nope i think to both answers- not 100% sure it is ex team but more likely than not i think

in that era they used mavic groups with sachs ergo shifters and rear mechs

Andy

Back