1995 Kona Kilauea 17"

Hey Zero, isn't this a 94, not 95?

the 94 catalogue shows white as stock colors, and I believe the 95 decals had a gold-ish hue to them.

Just sayin' ;)

And lets see a pic from that famous brick wall...

Thanks much all around.

I originally had it dated as a '94, but then started thinking it may be a '95 due to the decal variation on the top tube near the seat tube junction. Take a look at the '94 catalog and see what I mean. The font of the "Mountain Shock" decals on this bike is of the newer Tikki style. I was under the impression that '95 was the year that the fonts got mixed. It's entirely possible that it could be a '94 as I originally thought and maybe just the variant "Mountain Shock" decal got the Tikki treatment.

Someone just posted that they have the '95 and '96 catalogs available for specific scans. I'll track down that post and see if I can get us a scan so we can get a proper ID on this one.

I can confirm that is definitely, definitely a 95. The 94 was silver incidentally...

As for Kona's claimed weight being a load of old cobblers, I agree, just goes to make Mr Zero's bike even more impressive.

Thanks, Geoff.

In regard to the color the '94 was in fact available in both a metallic Ti/Silver and White.

Oh ok, never saw the white version of the 94. That is still the 95 though, identical to how mine looked before it's respray. Good to see the original paint in such nice nick- if I ever see an 18" in that condition it will be mine...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yep, saw that one. Same decals as mine. It definitely still has me leaning toward '95.

I've dropped a post on andrewl's 95/96 Kona catalog thread regarding getting a scan of the '95 Kilauea. Hopefully we can make a definitive ID from that.

Look Zero old chap, whilst not disputing that this is a matter of great moment, isn't there another way of looking at it? i.e., that all of the 1994 frames were in fact carried over into 1995 and are thus identical aside from paint? And in the hallowed case of the Kilauea, the alternate colour scheme for 94 was adopted as the standard for 95? So to attempt to differentiate between them is to dance on the eye of a pin?

But somehow I fear that my argument suffers from being merely logical, and thus I may be totally missing the point.

Quite right, on both points! ;)

I could really care less personally, but once the question was raised the pursuit of an answer seemed a perfectly acceptable alternative to spending my work day actually doing work. :roll:

Back