2006 Turner 5-Spot

There must be a few sets of the standard rockers about that came from bikes converted to e.g. the Push rockers or later models to give 5.5" travel.

And it looks to have failed at the crest of the relieved section, relating the failure to the modification. Stress concentration at the reduced cross section and a fatigue crack propagating until the remaining ligament is overstressed and tears. The fracture surface would show this.

utahdog2003":duobjx3r said:
It is, as is the replacement. Anodized after being relieved to clear the valve, so it is a factory change. I'm looking for unmodded 5.3 rockers, but so far no dice. :cry:

All 5.3 rockers have the valve clearance recess. The older 5.1" rockers which were used withe the Romic shock don't have this.

Rocker failure is pretty rare, but its also easy to pick up Spot rockers on eBay and through mtbr.

IbocProSX":3qp8gtvq said:
There must be a few sets of the standard rockers about that came from bikes converted to e.g. the Push rockers or later models to give 5.5" travel.

PUSH and 5.5's would be complete overkill for me, I think. I have 5.3's, but if they are all relieved like that, then I may shop for some older 5.1's

IbocProSX":3qp8gtvq said:
And it looks to have failed at the crest of the relieved section, relating the failure to the modification. Stress concentration at the reduced cross section and a fatigue crack propagating until the remaining ligament is overstressed and tears. The fracture surface would show this.
Exactly

andrewl":3qp8gtvq said:
All 5.3 rockers have the valve clearance recess. The older 5.1" rockers which were used withe the Romic shock don't have this.

Really? that's too bad. I dig the 5.3's and I'd like a set without the indentations.

andrewl":3qp8gtvq said:
Rocker failure is pretty rare, but its also easy to pick up Spot rockers on eBay and through mtbr.

I did snag a set of 5.1's and 5.3's, from MTBR and eBay respectively. Also picked up a later rear swingarm assembly, with the asymetrical stays.

It's a nice bike. I like it. :D

When the Romic was dropped and replaced with the RP3 the travel was tweeked to give 5.3" of travel and thus all the 5.3 are set up for the air shock and a common complaint with the 5.1 was that the valve will make contact with the rocker.

Other than changing the shock or modifying some 5.1" rockers you are stuck with 5.3" or 5.5" rockers in standard form. the stock 5.5" rockers are probably the best option as they don't fail like the 5.3s and are a better match for a 140mm fork.

Old 5" RFX rockers (2002 and older) are the strongest of the 5" rockers and are identical in shape to the old 5.1" so if you really want to have 5.1" rockers and the valve clearance is ok, then maybe consider those.

andrewl":2h75b3zd said:
When the Romic was dropped and replaced with the RP3 the travel was tweeked to give 5.3" of travel and thus all the 5.3 are set up for the air shock and a common complaint with the 5.1 was that the valve will make contact with the rocker.

Other than changing the shock or modifying some 5.1" rockers you are stuck with 5.3" or 5.5" rockers in standard form. the stock 5.5" rockers are probably the best option as they don't fail like the 5.3s and are a better match for a 140mm fork.

Old 5" RFX rockers (2002 and older) are the strongest of the 5" rockers and are identical in shape to the old 5.1" so if you really want to have 5.1" rockers and the valve clearance is ok, then maybe consider those.

I am not running the DHX5.0 any longer...I should have made that clear. I've never liked air shocks, and as I'm a big boy, the weight penalty of a coil-over is not a concern for me. What I'd really like therefor, is a set of 5.1's from the early days...sans air-valve relief.

Anyone have spare rockers floating around? Bueller?

utahdog2003":3oc9f1vm said:
I am not running the DHX5.0 any longer...I should have made that clear. I've never liked air shocks, and as I'm a big boy, the weight penalty of a coil-over is not a concern for me. What I'd really like therefor, is a set of 5.1's from the early days...sans air-valve relief.

I'll see what I've got in my rocker collection. I may have a spare set of 5.1s

andrewl":2s81ktjx said:
utahdog2003":2s81ktjx said:

I'll see what I've got in my rocker collection. I may have a spare set of 5.1s

That would be great. :)

UPDATE!

Turner Update! Fully rebuilt from when I first assembled it. Now fitted with Cane Creek Double Barrel, later offset chainstay TNT rear triangle, and 5.3 rockers. With the latest improvements, it is essentially the last and latest of the pre DW-Link Turners. Pics, in Tennessee at Raccoon Mountain in Chattanooga, and with me in a 12 hour relay race in central Florida. In the race pic you can clearly see the retro addiction runs deep, Altek levers, and Sachs Attack shifters.

Fun bike.

Attachments

• santos.jpg
    santos.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,162
  • IMG_6963small.JPG
    IMG_6963small.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 1,162
Back