TYRES, The price of!

Clearly he's not buying 245/45 Pirelli P-Zeros for his car like me..around £180 a pop...
And I agree they are the real equivalent of a Fire XC Pro folding!

Yes, fat rubber for cars is expensive :( 255's on the back of the bm and the kit car :( :( but they wouldnt look quite the same rolling on 135's :LOL:

the weird thing is that they dont seem to have risen much with inflation. i remember paying £35 a tyre for bontrager jones' back in 96 :?

a better thing to bring up would be the price of inner tubes, do a bit of research on the mark up of those ;) and puncture repair kits

Few things to bear in mind.

Huge internet retailers often have old stock to clear. Tyres won't keep for ever and need to be cleared out to create cash flow and space for new models.

Distributors rotate stock fast on tyres as they are perishables, so smaller retailers will always be paying top price for the tyres that are in demand and easy to sell.

A brand name tyre that costs £9 is either being sold at below cost, or needed to be cleared by distributor and was bought at special price. Or came off a bike that the customer upgraded the tyres on - and is therefore likely to be a cheaper OEM version.

Good tyres have always been expensive. WCS Z-Max and Panaracer folders cost £30-£35 each BITD. This is no more than a Nobby Nic or Racing Ralph folder costs today. Cheap tyres used to cost £15 or so and still do.

So really, I don't see what you are griping about.

jamabikes":o357q033 said:
a better thing to bring up would be the price of inner tubes, do a bit of research on the mark up of those ;) and puncture repair kits

Generalisation. GOOD tubes and puncture kits have a pretty poor markup compared to economy ones. Problem is that the savvy customer knows the difference and is also more price conscious than the "normal" punter who just pays the price on the box and doesn't know the difference.

Fook sake :x

Glad to see kaiser and hamster know the score . Those £40 decent mtb tyres are essentially racing tyres , different uses but the manufacturer assumes you want that tyre to go pretty quickly . The £40 tyre on the car is bullsh^t , made to keep you legal when your ferrying your 2.4 to the shops and back . How about looking at the racing car tyre market ? A R888 for example , or a hoosier for a dragster , which is only good for 4 runs . Last time I checked they were over £800 a piece .

Be thankful your shopping bike doesn't require hand made sew up tubs .

I pay roughly £5 for a kevlar bead tyre ( not trade ! ) and not that I ever bother , a cheapy leaves me change for £3 .

I love the price of tyre comments as much as the " I can buy a car for that " , yeah , well I can buy a car for £50 , you wouldn't though , would you :LOL:

Re: Point made, get MTB TYREs from the INTERNET!

srands":34dccmec said:
But, still very very surprised that if you walk into most bike shops, two almost discete barely noticeable rubber hoops, will set you back some like £60! OK bike shops have expenses like business mortgages, lots of sales staff, lots of mechanics, etc, but you'd think some of your no-nonsence, just some really decent bikes and kit 'BIKE SHOPS' would stock some of the lower RRP QUALITY tyres, BUT NO!

Maybe it's just the shop(s) you've visited, but I seem to be able to find a good range in the shops near me.

The prices haven't changed to my mind - I specced a set of top of the line WTB's to a bike in '97 that had an RRP of £47.95. I didn't pay that, but that was 14 years ago - so add inflation to that price. £30 doesn't seem like a lot to me for a tyre.

srands":34dccmec said:
So ordering an ODD shaped product like tyres over the internet, INCLUDING DELIVERY, equals cheaper then the shops! CRAZY!

Nope, just the internet business based world we consumers live in nowadays. Mail order was cheaper before that. Overheads and stock control are massive issues for an average bike shop - as with most sales based business. Been in an independent record shop lately?

Re: TYRES........

srands":367rgyp1 said:
Since CAR TYRES are 10 times the weight of MTB tyres, feels like MTB tyres are more expensive then they should be.

Wow, what a great, DISCUSSION! I agree that anything that is Heavy should definitely cost more than anything light.

Now who wants to swap my heavy Raleigh Mustang for a Merlin Titanium. They are both bikes so it must be true that the Mustang is more expensive than the Merlin as it weighs loads more.

wahhhheeeey perrys back :D

about bloody time too ,where ya been ?

motorcycle tyres are about £200 a pair
but you can buy cheapo's at about £22 each , the saving can be put to a good funeral

Hi mikee , I'll make a post later today , longish and boring story :LOL:

yeah a mates rear tyre on his R1 was about £200 a week or two ago . Given the speeds the bike is capable of , fair enough .

Back