another cannondale M400 - image update January 2012

The Pace forks look like the RC35AB (atmosphere balanced ie there is a hole drilled in them to let the air out I think) ones, I think these were the second generation RC35s. If they have a tubular steel brace on the back they are the first RC35ABs, probably 1992. They might feel like they have no travel but in my recollection you won't improve it much with new elastomers, when I had mine BITD I changed the bumpers about two or three times and never got much more than 40mm out of them I think. But they were way stiffer than Mag20s and the other suspension forks around then.
What else has it got on it? Looks like a nice USE post...

Is it a sort of dappled dark green to black paint job?

Pick could be similar to my 1995 M400 if so.

Spec on mine is still stx rc 21 speed with grip shift etc, so if thumbies maybe an aftermarket upgrade.

Cheers M.

I THINK its black - hard to tell...

One of the clues I am working on is the location of the M400 logo - at the rear of the top tube is a 1993 placement, and that year came with a "Jet Black" colour option, and thumbies - although the Cannondale catalogue says they should be Suntour...

short update.

This bike made it through the NZ winter as a beater. Fitted a set of Maggies (HS22) which improved the stopping no end, and some cheap spd clips so i stay on top and without pedal bite on the ankles

Finally got sick of jokes about the steep head angle and so I pulled the fork off and stripped it. Little bits of elastomer fell out looking like nothing much other than snot balls...

Ordered a set of elastomers yesterday from the guys at suspensionforkparts.net - hopefully I'll have them in a few days and can reassemble the PACE back to its former glory. Gotta say, its spanking light unit!

The Cannondale is being prepped for a 42km ride in March - the Colville Connection.

Hopefully the oldest bike to enter and finish!

Update - January 2012

The elastomers arrived, and the family were elsewhere on holiday. What's a guy to do but get the bike into the lounge and rebuild the Pace fork!

All pretty easy really, but I had to make the separating washers between the elastomers - the old ones had given up. Fortunately, I had the right-sized hole saw and some sheet perspex that was a close-enough match.

Reassembled and road tested, I'm pretty happy that this will be a fun bike for the Colville ride. I'm a bit concerned about the relatively high gearing, but I figure that will help on the downhills :)

Photos show its no garage queen - I haven't done anything cosmetic, just added or changed out stuff for reliability and function. The grips are some el-cheapo bmx items with the flange cut off. Kinda squishy, but helps isolate the little bumps the Pace isn't good at smoothing out.

All up, it cost $110 to buy, the maggies were $55 (I think) plus another $50 for a bleed kit, olives and new tubing (a rip-off - the bleed kit is a cheap syringe, a length of pvc tube and Magura's formula fluid. Next time I'm just using baby oil), the new elastomers were $100 landing in NZ, grips about $10. Anything else I had on hand, so around $330 NZD all up.

Yay for cheap thrills!

Attachments

• DSCF0040.JPG
    DSCF0040.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCF0043.JPG
    DSCF0043.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCF0044.JPG
    DSCF0044.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCF0042.JPG
    DSCF0042.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 382
Really like that, got a black and orange one in the garage I am deffo going to have to get it sorted now :D

lovely machine.

Back