Fox or Rock Shoxs?

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello all. I've decided the Fox 36 Talas I currently have on the 5 are far more fork then I need and tbh I'm disappointed with how they work over the small stuff. Spoke to TF Tuned and they said this is because of all the extra gubbins inside compared to the Floats.

So.... I made the decision to change them for a second hand pair of 32 Floats. I can't afford new but am willing to pay strong money for some in vgc. Being a bit of a bike tart I didn't really think about anything other then Fox as they look pruudy :oops: :roll:

Anyway, being impatient and getting bored of waiting more then a couple of days for a set to appear on the usual sites I started thinking about other options. My friend has some Rock Shox Revelations and I've always thought they worked well. I am watching a perfect set of Fox Floats atm but there's no saying I'll win them and the chap doesn't want to finish the auction early.

I expect to pay around £300/400 for 2010/1 second hand Floats but have seen brand new 2011 Revelation RLT for £360 and the XX model for £450. I like the idea of new and worry about reliability of Fox (especially second hand) but if money was no object I'd go for the Fox everytime.

What would you do and what should I do? :?

what about these oem ones.... import would take it up to 400 I guess but that is within budget

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ ... LUK&cc=GBP

can you swap the steerer out? if so here are some new 1.5s for 400
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=65147

Personally I don't like the service requirements for Fox - 25 hrs and 80 quid a pop I am told by my LBS - although they have said they run theirs with a much reduced maintenance schedule and they are fine.

Also spotted these - you could put in a cheeky offer...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0569927077

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers for that Ken. Had thought about USA ones but decided it'd be too much trouble and too much risk. Typically my nephew has just come back from the US after visiting his Mum. If I'd decided to change a week earlier I could have got him to bring them back :roll: I could get some shipped to my sisters and have her send them on but I just know it'd go wrong somewhere along the line. Modern forks have a habit of being a massive pain in the ar*e to me so I'd prefer for the deal to be as local as possible so I have some come back. Once bitten and all that.

Also thought about CRC's cheap Floats but a new crown would be £200 so would push the price up to normal levels. Yes, I'd be able to sell the 1.5 crown but again it's more complicated then my small brain can handle.

Should have mentioned, I'm after 140mm min, 160mm max forks so the 120's are out.

I've got two sets of Revelations.... 2010 Race Dual Air & 2011 RLT Dual Air and they are blimin lovely. VERY plush and really seem to soak everything up even over small stuff. Thoroughly recommend them and good value to imho :cool:

Thanks Alex. It's the 2011 RLT's I'm looking at and maybe the 2011 XX. Asked on Bikeradar but the thread's quickly turned in to a slagging match between Fox and RS fanboys! :LOL:

Had far more people saying RS atm so could well go down that road. Like the idea of new forks instead of second hand. The tart in me still prefers the look of Fox on the 5 though. :oops:

break the mould of the current Orange thinking and go for the rockshox. better to buy new i think, and the stanctions last longer with less maintenance.

I ran older RS Revelation 426 forks on my '06 Five for a short time before the bike was stolen, I had run Fox Float 130R's before that

I did notice that the Rev's seemed to handle the small bumps better than the Float's, but that may have been because I don't service my forks or because the Rev's were dual air

Fox look right on Fives, but Revelations offer at least the same level of performance in a better value package

I still run Fox on my Cube and RS Reba's on my Clockwork

Money no object it's either BOS forks or Fox forks, if you want value for money it's RS forks

Even though I don't service my forks I've never had any problems with Fox or Rockshox forks

I know this thread is about RS & Fox, but are you not considering Marzocchi at all? I'm very happy with mine - All Mountain 1SLs...

rosstheboss":fwyg7x8x said:
I know this thread is about RS & Fox, but are you not considering Marzocchi at all? I'm very happy with mine - All Mountain 1SLs...

yeah i was going to suggest magura and spinner in the line up
not sure if it was a stick to this or that thread though :LOL:

Have not really considered others as I don't know anyone with a set so can't compare :( I'd quite like some DT Swiss having had the Pace originals but they're waaaaay expensive.

Back