SRAM cassette compatability

rosstheboss

Retrobike Rider
How well do these cassettes work with shimano products i.e. chains?

It looks like it may well be new chain time on my stumpy, what chains have you guys had good experiences with?

Cheers

all chains and cassettes are compatibles , but if your chain ir really worn out , you might find that your cassette is dead too , and maybe the front rings .

i generally find shimano cassettes last longer than sram but i prefer sram chains but both are compatible either way, meaning you can run shimano chain on sram cassette and vice versa with no issues.

having said that i got a couple of bargain sram cassettes recently when they changed to 10 speed and CRC were chucking out the 9speed stuff cheap and so far they have been fine but i still prefer shimano but bargain factor does come into it with me!

i avoid the wipperman chains though, i got one a few years ago and it snapped across a link, then on inspection it was breaking on 4 other links, it had been on the bike for 2 weeks at this point!! i put it on new for a race then did 2 rides to work and it died, and it cost £65!! they gave me a replacement but i sold it rather than used it.

SRAM / Shimano mix fine.

SRAM cassettes are usually lighter for the equivalent money (with the normal eBay / CRC discounts).

Never detected any difference in performance good or bad.

For me...

Cassettes, always Shimano SLX or XT, better value and lower weight than their Sram equivalent models (X0=XTR, X9=XT, X7=SLX)

Chains, always KMC or Sram, easier to fit with their powerlink/missing link joining pins, KMC chains shift better than Shimano and are generally better value

Sram 1031 photographed in the wild earlier this week .

58.jpg

I'm not sure their new approach to saving weight will catch on though

:LOL: :shock:

Tektro have nothing to do with it , the booklet was the clearest thing to hand .

There are reasons why every bike leaves the shop with a pdi check , this is one of them .

I've not noticed any discernible difference between the sram and shimano cassettes at the cheaper end of the 9 speed shifting world ( not that £40 is cheap :( ) we tend to fit whatever is requested , if no request , whatever we have in stock . I hate shimano chains though . The sram one photoed will just be a machine problem . whoever boxed the bike missed it though and I only noticed because the bike was catching the front mech without the ring being bent . I bagged it up and when I showed another colleague it took me ages to spot the 5 missing plates through the bag . Shifted at the rear fine though . I hope weight weenies doesn't spot this :LOL:

I'm currently running a SRAM 9 spd cassette with a KMC X9L chain, a SRAM 8spd cassette with a with a SRAM 850 chain and a Shimano 7spd cassette with a SRAM PC48 chain. They all work fine IMO.

I've never seen anything like that SRAM 1031 ^^^^ before :shock:

I have used shimano and KMC chains on shimano and SRAM cassettes, all combinations and all work well.

I'm kinda liuking KMC at the moment as you do not need to bu**** about iwth the spactial pin; they have a reusable link.

I think Shimano cassettes are lighter than SRAM.

VVVV wot he will say.

Andy B":1qfyvh7m said:
For me...

Cassettes, always Shimano SLX or XT, better value and lower weight than their Sram equivalent models (X0=XTR, X9=XT, X7=SLX)

Chains, always KMC or Sram, easier to fit with their powerlink/missing link joining pins, KMC chains shift better than Shimano and are generally better value

^^

What he says.

Back