Chain tension on an Alfine hub

Thorpie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have been using my day one Alfine for a few months now and the chain tension has slackened a little bit, anyone know how much tension is right on a hub gear chain? Secondly, I know that I need to move the wheel back slightly in the slot dropouts to increase tension but unlike a single speed there is obviously a cable attached to the hub, is it a simple matter of loosening the little clasp bolt on the cable where it connects to the hub and giving it some slack? Anyone done this?

Thanks in advance,

Trevor.

i cant be 100% sure but wouldnt it be similar to ss tension?

ss/geared hubs do put a lot of strain on chains so sometimes they can wear pretty fast

If you can move the bottom section of chain by about a finger width up or down, it's about right. More play is probably OK too, if the chainline is spot on, but too tight and it will wear quicker.

As taught (sure that's the wrong spelling :LOL: ) as possible without any bind . The bit that the cable outer slots into will move with the wheel .

Just pingable is how I set :LOL: As others have said too much will cause the chain to bind, too loose may throw chain of drive (not good).

I have a Genisis IOiD and it has the rear gear cable stop mounted to the hub so will always be correct (as long as you have the yellow indicator visible through the the window in hub ;) ) There are also 2x allen grub screws that are rear facing in the dropouts which allow tension on the chain nice and simply for when you get the spanner out :D

Done it, didn't have to move the wheel much to increase chain tension, just hope it's not too tight now.

it will probably feel a bit 'notchy' if its too tight (when you lift the rear up and pedal the crank by hand)

All posts are correct so far.

One more point is to be careful not to tighten one nut then pushing/pulling to far over while adjusting on the other side.

Overloading axles on Nexus and Alfine-type hubs is the single most common cause of gear problems.

Back