Holdsworth are back

We will all want hanbuilt lightweight steel frames and choosing our own paint scheme and framebuilder again soon, when the craftsmen who made them are gone and the price is extreme

Spot on alanf1968, although I think the prices are already getting pretty steep. My MKM in 531SL cost £135 in 1985 with a Super Record headset. In today's money that's £320. About the cheapest frame builders I found last year were Jacksons who are now charging over £460 for their 631 Audax frame. If you look at the smaller builders it's much more than that.

I bought a Taiwanese welded alu job for my current bike which was planned as a "winter" bike partly because the steel frames I looked at were just too nice/pricey to think of subjecting them to the winter muck. When I get around to buying a "nice" frame it will be one of the those lovely steel jobs. Let's hope someone's still building by then.

Mark.

I was recently quoted £600 for a new frame building, when you find something that appears to be a well priced steel frame, it turns out to be built in the far east, then painted here, I was very tempted to have a go at building my own frame

I had a frameset built year before last at Edison's in Clowne cost was around £500 all in..built from DB 631 main tubes 531 rear stays and forks IIRC(it's currently in storage awaiting building) built to order/bespoke measured up the lot.
I had a very slight slope put on the top tube so it goes from 21 1/2" -21".
Chris Hazlehurst who was Eddies son (hence EDISON) used to build for Carlton ...I think he was apprenticed there and his dad (Eddie) was foreman in the building shop I think.
The frame is very retro but built for modern equipment, It is being built up with 105 and Ultegra 9 speed in triple format...I had it built with a 1" fork.
Despite all the rubbish spoken about integrated headsets etc I believe there was nothing wrong with the old quill set up, I think it's just easier on the production line and if 1" was flexy (not that your average Joe could tell!) then why not just go up in size and use a 1 1/8" quill set up.

As has been said when they've gone they've gone...and then it will be really expensive just like bespoke metalworking or dry stone walling...my advice get one built now...I intend to get a Mountain bike frame built by Edisons or Vernon Barker before they retire.

USED TO BUILD FOR

Rick Powell is modifying an old Raleigh frame and painting for me on a retro poject, another ex Carlton framebuilder, he is 82 now and been semi retired for a while now, dont know how long he can carry on

I went in to see Chris at Edisons a few weeks back - he had that quiet confidence in his own work that is completely contagious and makes you want to order about a hundred bikes just for the pleasure of watching him build them.

There is a slowly building store of money in the Bank of Goldie for a traditionally built steel frame from a Yorksire or North Derbyshire builder. When I mentioned what I was after to Chris he quickly sketched out a bike using some NOS Carlton Capella lugs and 531 which I have no doubt would be an absolute stunner.

I can see that this hand built bike will cost a fair bit of money, but I think it's so worth it for so many reasons - the individuality and longevity of the finished product, the chance to tailor it to my needs, the opportunity to play a part in creating what is pretty much a piece of art as well as a bit of graceful engineering.

I stumbled across Feather a few months back - there's some lovely looking stuff being built there. Is Ricky based in West Yorks somewhere, or am I making that up?

Edisons shop is like a time warp, I 'd definately have another frame built by Chris funds permitting ...his wheelbuildings not bad either!

Goldie":326shc1q said:
I went in to see Chris at Edisons a few weeks back - he had that quiet confidence in his own work that is completely contagious and makes you want to order about a hundred bikes just for the pleasure of watching him build them.

I used to own an Edison Columbus SL cross frame (a cast-off from former national junior champ Lee Fereday, apparently), very nicely built [1] but a bit restricted on mud clearance around the fork crown; improved further still thanks to an excellent Dave Yates respray. Sold it due to a funds shortage a few years ago, otherwise I'd probably still be using it now albeit with a new fork.

David

[1] "Proper" CX design too - both gear cables routed over the top tube and all that!

Back