Hope Tech X2

Nick C

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm currently running a pair of Avid Elixir 5 brakes which are the first disc brakes I've used. Aside from the squealing that have recently developed, I like the feel of the brakes, but the lack of pad travel adjustment is an issue. I carry my bike in the boot of my hatchback and I remove the front wheel to get a couple of bikes in, this results in a calliper adjustment to stop rubbing every time I refit the front wheel. I've also found that sometimes the disc starts to rub on the pads during a ride, possibly due to them warping a little while heated?

I'm looking at buying a pair of Hope Tech X2's and floating rotors as my local bike shop has offered a good price and they offer additional modulation and pad adjustment from the lever, plus all parts are available as spares AND Hope are very local to me.

So my question is to those with more experience with disc brakes, are Hope brakes worth the added ££ over Avids?

had both sets of the above brakes, prefered the avids to be honest, more feel and power.

save your money.

Rich, I had both and gone the other way to you and sooo much pref the hopes. Hey ho.

Op. Try sticking half a wooden clothes peg in between the pads when the wheels are out, that way if you do squeeze the lever they won't close. ;)

ex bike shop employee, wouldn't touch avid disc brakes with someone elses bargpole!

hope i think are the best, some might argue others are more powerful (which arguably may be true) but the spares availability by comparison with ANY other brand are first class by a long way as you can get EVERY part unlike the others.

shimano would be second choice, then hayes, then any one of the other generic brands with avid being right at the bottom of the pile due to reasons such as ripping through pads, crap spares availability, rubbing, pain to bleed need i go on?

avid are the industry favourite for no other reason than they are cheap for the OE market for manufacturers.

my 2p, take from that what you will ;)

I've had two sets of Hope brakes (Mono Mini + the ones I've got now... err, they replaced the M4's :oops: ) and both have been superb. In my opinion they feel so much better made then the other brands. My current ones have 'mad stoppin skilz', almost too much. Put it this way, if I had the funds I would not consider anything else but Hope. :cool:

Strange how peoples experiences differ - I've never got on with hopes at all but recently got a pair of avids (code 5) and can't fault them. Liked Hayes for years, shimano are OK but a bit low on power for me but my new favourites are my Formula Megas, they're just flawless.

a few people where i work run the avid elixirs and im not impressed by them
i like the master cylinder design but brakes arent a thing where form should come over function

the elixirs felt notchy although had good power to finger pull ratio
i havent experienced enough brakes to know proper modulation
or maybe i just think most brakes do a similar job :LOL:
on or off
or a bit less offy and onny when you have some speed
(sums it up aye?!)

havent even tried hopes though so cant comment

brocklanders023":31gsvrdv said:
I've had two sets of Hope brakes (Mono Mini + the ones I've got now... err, they replaced the M4's :oops: ) and both have been superb. In my opinion they feel so much better made then the other brands. My current ones have 'mad stoppin skilz', almost too much. Put it this way, if I had the funds I would not consider anything else but Hope. :cool:

Dude, you have the the Tech M4's :roll:

Have to agree with Jonnyboy on the service and parts etc.

I wouldn't have any other brakes

Knew you'd know what mine were called bud. :oops: :LOL:

Either way, they're ace.

For the record I've had Hayes and have tried Avid, Shimano and some others. Hope are top of the tree for me.

ex bike shop employee, wouldn't touch avid disc brakes with someone elses bargpole!

Current bike shop employee here and funnily enough agree :LOL:

The avid bleed kit consists of half a dozen syringes , a couple liters of fluid , a few torx bits , various clips and spacers and half a day . The hope kit is a bit of clear tubing ,a spanner , some fresh fluid and the time to make a cuppa :LOL:

Back