1980 Koga-Miyata FullPro-L

The SR Extra Super Light post up close >>

5894878284_ec2bd7737e_z.jpg

It looks quite a lot like a Nuovo Record post, but with a lot material shaved away and titanium hardware. The result is a is a post that weighs substantially less.

The Dura-Ace crank I will opt for >>

5894311651_e12e2564bc_z.jpg

Also with the one key release bolts and 'W' cut rings. Fully period correct.

These cranks require a wider spindle >>

5894872460_f0107ffac7_z.jpg

VeloBase mentions 195gr for the Extra Super Light post and 320gr for a Nuovo Record example.

Little touch up work to do. French blue gloss from Modelmaster always has proven to be an excellent match with the early 80s professional Koga's. Gold for the panels.

5896507099_d59b48e724_z.jpg

I do have pencils 00, 0 and 1 available, but for this frame the smallest does (00).

First however >>

5896507861_29cbf7890f_z.jpg

Base coat with rust prevention additives. 0.5 liter, so enough for a million frames.

Nice! :cool:

I'm going through the same process but I'm having a hard time matching the frame's color. It's a champagne/old bronze something. It would have look beautiful when new.

There were a couple marks where the bottom of the pump sat fitted. Top is smooth and left no traces fortunately. I am not a fan of frame mounted pumps. Normally they don't sit fitted with protection pads. Removing the pump is always the 1st thing I do when I collect a bike.

5902180784_61b26a0275_b.jpg

I must say the pump matches okay colourwise.

On Dutch television there is documentary series on vintage sport moments. A couple days ago Peter Winnen's Alpe d'Heuz stage win was covered :) You can view it online here >>>

http://nos.nl/video/256964-ats-winnen-o ... dhuez.html

Peter is doing the climb again with a bike Koga lent to him. In a little shop near the Alpe d'Huez it gets some service. The shop owner is a true enthousiast and recalls Peter won the stage in '81 and '83. The bike is clearly a FullPro-L.

Elev12k":en00i7gt said:
On Dutch television there is documentary series on vintage sport moments. A couple days ago Peter Winnen's Alpe d'Heuz stage win was covered :) You can view it online here >>>

http://nos.nl/video/256964-ats-winnen-o ... dhuez.html

Peter is doing the climb again with a bike Koga lent to him. In a little shop near the Alpe d'Huez it gets some service. The shop owner is a true enthousiast and recalls Peter won the stage in '81 and '83. The bike is clearly a FullPro-L.

great stuff indeed. I watched it 2 times, and probably will watch it again. I always like the "archive stuff" the most when watching "De avondetappe" (dutch daily program about the TDF)

and I like your koga too by the way... on of the best colours Koga ever had.

You really got a nice bike Elev12k! Its de same dat was used in de documentary, but not the same bike (as reporter Tom Egberts announced) an original factory borrowed bike from 1981! I think this frame that was used was 1 size too big for him .. But oh well .. Who cares?

Thanks for the kind words on my FP-L.

I am aware of that Peter's 1981 bike and the bike he is doing the 2011 climb with are not the same. That is what they make us believe in the documentary and it is also what Koga tried to make me believe when I visited their museum a couple years ago, but it isn't the same. When I confrontated them with that the story evolved in that it belonged to the team, but I doubt whether they had it entirely clear themselves. The bike you see in the old scenes is smaller, has decals instead of a badge on the headtube and horizontal instead of vertical dropouts.

I recall that a couple years ago Koga promised a new FullPro worth 3000 euro to someone who could supply them a late 70s ProRacer. I don't know how they got hands on this 'Peter Winnen' bike.

The same bike has been used in more publications btw. View this two mag articles:

Tourgids, 2009

FIETS magazine #5, 1999

Back