GT DHI (Ex Steve Peat 99 prototype)

James_Geldart

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I'm considering selling my 1999 ex steve peat GT DHI prototype, which may or may not interest some of you.

This bike was raced by Steve at various world cup races and in winning the 99 british champs (of which i have a 'mountain bike britian' VHS which i will happily include)

This bike was bought from andy Kiffin's shop in manchester (steve's old mechanic) where many of steve's old GT's now live - the previous owner bought this as a full bike a few years ago after asking Andy how much steve would sell it for, a call was made and a deal was struck for close to £3k, i purchased the bike less than a couple of years ago being a big peaty fan and this being the bike i used to watch steve race when i first got into the sport.

Apparently over $20k of R&D went into this frame, and it truely is a one off, with many subtle differences to the production DHI which came out in 2000.

I've ridden this bike a handful of times over the last year or so, and unfortunatly last week i noticed that there are a couple of faint hairline cracks appearing on a couple of the rear swingarm welds (the fate of many a production DHI too, stress fractures that appear over time rather than a 'hard hit' weak spot). When i got this bike there was already cracks in the paint (these hairline cracks could have been there for some time) - no doubt this could be welded, but it seems a shame to do so, and its probably time this piece of history was hung up on someones wall.

I am offering the one off parts - frame, prototype shock (needs an oil seal), seatpost, specific chain device parts inc BB and team only custom stitched team GT saddle for £375

When i got the bike it was completely original bar a new set of (correct era) XTR cranks/chainring, the mech/shifter/rear rim were all past their best (replaced like for like, although i still have the originals). I intend to use some of the other parts on a new build, so have decided to retain them, as i imagine it is the frame that is the one part (that if it cant be ridden) someone would want.

However i will considering selling the full bike if someone is seriously interested for the right price (£950).

DSC02844.jpg

maribor99-bulls-pete.jpg

cyfa2809":3dtrpm2k said:
wow!
would you trade the frame for another?
what size is it?

cash sale only i'm afraid (unless you have a 19'' 97/98 xizang or i miss out on the new full suss frame i've seen and you have a turner 6 pack!)

Size wise it's fairly big, as steve is 6' 4''/6' 5'' or something like that, i'm 6' and i found it spot on with the seatpost almost down, not overly long like modern downhill frames (with all this integrated stem stuff), i'd go with 5' 10'' as a minimum height really - but all that being said, it'd be nice to see it hung on someones wall

Back