TYRES, The price of!

REKIBorter":2uqhd4u4 said:
Profit margin for MTB tyres is 80-100% for a retailer
Cool, could you let my boss know where you can get MTB tyres for with those margins, he'd be well chuffed!

TYRES, many years ago..........

Hmm yes ANDY, some of those figures do sound like speculation, industry generalisation, or at the least some very creative accounting!.

I too worked for a large bike shop, the management and head office winged they made very little, and the prices were RRP, unless on sale for a limited period of time, or too match a competitor (Heaven forbid a customer ever mentioned this), and the servicing was competitive considering the time spent on preperation of new bikes, or the servicing and repair of customers bikes. Albeit Halfords, which I know to many local bike shops has been a swear word since Halfords starting introducing quality Carerra's, then selling Raleigh's, then GT's, then KONA's, then VOODOO's, then the introduction of the more premium brand Chris Boardman.
(Note Halfords bike range:)
GEMINI: BUDGET BRAND (LOW QUALITY)
APOLLO: BUDGET BRAND (MEDIOCRE QUALITY)
CARERRA: PREMIUM BRAND
CHRIS BOARDMAN: SUPER PREMIUM BRAND!

OK lets go to basics on this (Since my CAR TYRE COMPARISON isn't a seasoned favourite here):

~ You buy a quality MTB (Hardtail or Full Sus, whatever like it matters for this example), DEORE groupset equivalent or better.
~ You ride many many miles, and not surprisingly some wear & tear.

On a MTB this commonly first of all is:
~ BRAKE/GEAR INNER STRETCH (Normally within first 15 miles)
~ TYRES
~ BRAKE PADS
~ CHAIN then either CHAINRINGS/CASSETTE
~ then the parts you accidently break, when falling off or replace for something better.

Hence the first ancillaries you're most likely to replace first of all is........
TYRES, that's right! What you going to do ride with badly worn tyres that will keep getting you punctures! NO buy some tyres!

Anyway 20 years ago there was much less choice of MTB TYRES, TIOGA TYRES SMOKE LITES were like £9.95 or you could buy FARMER JOHN for less.

And then MTB TYRE MANUFACTURERS must have thought what will consumers (US the customers) pay for tyres and more choice:

Original example price: £10
1/3rd more: £15
Double: £20
Double & 1/2: £25
Triple: £30
Triple & 1/2: £35
Quadruple: £40

Incidently Halfords cheap tyres are still £17 each, so £34 for both, sounds alot to me.

It's daft that tyre manufacturers RRP force local & national bike shops not to sell a quality pair for £20, apart from over the internet, this is completely absurd.

In your first post you are saying the average price for a medium quality tyre is 35 pounds and now you are saying a quality pair are 20 pounds?

I am missing the point I think. Or have the goalposts moved?

Point made, get MTB TYREs from the INTERNET!

OK. MANY THANKS, yah.

MTB TYRES are definately cheaper over the internet, especially some Hutchinson, Continental and Michelin, from MTB websites, such as:

~ CHAIN REACTION CYCLES EG: Panaracer Fire XC from £9

~ ALL TERRAIN CYCLES EG: Michelin Country All Terrain From £9

But, still very very surprised that if you walk into most bike shops, two almost discete barely noticeable rubber hoops, will set you back some like £60! OK bike shops have expenses like business mortgages, lots of sales staff, lots of mechanics, etc, but you'd think some of your no-nonsence, just some really decent bikes and kit 'BIKE SHOPS' would stock some of the lower RRP QUALITY tyres, BUT NO! So ordering an ODD shaped product like tyres over the internet, INCLUDING DELIVERY, equals cheaper then the shops! CRAZY!

I do agree - my LBS always has a small selection only.

I guess that the problem is too much choice, and that those who wear out their tyres regularly have strong ideas about what they want.

But it is crazy how it's often both cheaper and faster to get on the internet. However it's a common complaint that Internet retailers can sell for less than the shop can buy. This isn't just for bike bits, my local TV guy said the same.
That is why high street shops are struggling.

Just thank the gods of retro you don't have to buy 29er tires! :LOL:

I guess it's a mix of market forces. product quality and manufacturing quantities that set the price. Really good tires tend to be more expensive, and people will pay if they're good enough.

I don't mind paying for quality kit, you gets what you pays for most of the time.

TYRES........

OK FACT:
In bike shops MTB TYRES are alot more, then the internet.

Don't worry yourselves I won't be riding my HT bike round until my MAVIC 117's are grinding around with the blithered remains of my old tubes and tyres, I will buy some tyres from the internet, probably these amazing websites because they look like no nonsense shops, and I like their not so a la carte range choice, and not forgetting of course their embossed logo's.........:
~ CHAIN REACTION CYCLES EG: Panaracer Fire XC from £9
~ ALL TERRAIN CYCLES EG: Michelin Country All Terrain From £9

TYRES on order "WHEN, my TIOGA XC TYRES, start to look worn, well after nearly 5 years it's not surprising! Good job these tyres aren't soft compound, like some ONZA's squidgy tyres, somebody mentioned you'd go through lots of these loops".

Anyway to finish this thread off for a quality MTB 26" TYRE, in a bike shop is about £38 inc vat.

If there was no such thing as a CAR, there wouldn't be an obvious COMPARISON, apart from previous MTB TYRE PRICES! But......... there is such a thing, as a CAR! And the other obvious statement here, is that a CAR uses FUEL, whereas a BIKE is free to use, obviously there is a cost to buying a bike! And it's use eventually causes WEAR and TEAR, and the bike won't be as smooth running, hence items need replacing.

The obvious comparison is a CAR TYRE, as much as people don't like this comparison, it is a TYRE, and the most commonly used vehicle!

Anyway the wheels on most peoples cars are 14" or 15", budget fitted starts at £35 inc vat, balancing. Since CAR TYRES are 10 times the weight of MTB tyres, feels like MTB tyres are more expensive then they should be.

Yes yes yes you can get more expensive branded car tyres from Pirelli, Michelin and like many people over the years I have also bought huge alloys for my car at sometime, but much bigger alloy wheels, need appropriate sized tyres, but since much larger sizes, aren't produced in such large quantities, these larger tyres, are more expensive because of:
~ lower production quantities
~ great quantity of rubber used per tyre

That's it, there really isn't anything more I can say about this, or want to!

wouldn't you be better comparing race car or race motorbike tyres with 'quality' bike tyres?

your £35 14" car tyre is the equivalent to a something you'd find on a 20" BSO!

Back