tan or black tyre sidewalls for a retro build?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm getting near to having all the pieces for my retro build (will post details when I get the frame painted and am ready to build it). The frame is from 1991, and all components (except spokes, chain, cables and tubs) are from the same period.

I'd like info and opinions on the tubs - more specifically, should I go with tan or black sidewalls?

I can't post a picture of the bike because it's not painted or built yet. Personally, I think either will work, although I am leaning towards all black but I'm not sure if all black tubs were available in the early 90s.

can anyone help me decide?

Thanks!

Depends on what colour frame / accessories but I'm a big fan of tanwalls. My current build is a British racing green frame / fork with brown Brooks saddle / tape and tan walls, looks lovely.

Frame and fork will be all blue with white decals. All components are silver, with mavic cd colour rims. bartape is white, saddle and lever hoods will either be white or black, depends what I've got and what I can get...

Although I think tan might be the most 'original' colour, I'm leaning towards black just because they stand out less. Sometimes I think tan or light coloured sidewalls can distract from the overall because they're too bright.

Black sidewalls equate to black socks.

To modern for anything from the last century I reckon ;)

Black sidewalls are a recent innovation so tan is best. At a stretch you could use some Challenge ones which are off-white with black sidewalls which looks pretty retro IMO.

Foz, you don't say what colour your rims are but if they are anodised grey i wouldn't put black walls on them as it makes the wheels look 'heavy' as its hard to see where the rim stops and the tyre starts, a tan wall would highlight your nice mavic rims, even if your rims arent dark grey :? i would still go with the 'classic' tan wall. p.s. are you on locost builders forum ?

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 775
gordy, that bike looks great! you have me convinced on the tan sidewalls! and I think you also have me convinced I need a white saddle!

my rims are NOS mavic mach 2 cd 2 - yours look to be the same. What tubs do you have on there?

I haven't got a large budget, so I'm looking for a set of medium priced tubs. Of those that I've seen with tan sidewalls, the Hutchinson tempo 1 and 2 seem OK, but I've been recommended schwalbe milanos. Just need to check if I can get them at the LBS.

just out of interest, when did black sidewalls first appear?

Thanks!

Foz, my tyres are specialized turbos but are not tubs they are on mavic open 4 cd clincher rims, sorry can't help with tub question.

Back