Several custom speed gears? instead of SS, 3,4,5sp 4x style

In my experience unless you are trying to do away with the rear derailleur you may as well stick to a standard cassette at the back.

If you want to do away with a derailleur then something like the White Industries Double/Double crank and DOS ENO freewheel work a treat as really you only need 1 easy gear and 1 hard gear.

Alternatively to can run a close set of 3 rings up front and a single cog at the back with tensoner at the back for a dead simple 3 speed which works amazingly well.

What i'm currently working on, just to be different is what I call a double single speed.
Basically 2 front chain rings and 2 rear cogs. Reverse pull rear derailuer, normal front so they pull the same way. I then have 1 thumb shifter with the cable running underneith the down tube, which then using a canti stradle thing I have split the cable to the front and rear derailuer together.
When I move the shifter it shifts both derailuers at the same time shifting it from 1 ratio to another. Just working on the spacings of the rings and cogs.
Why?
Cause as far as i know it hasn't been done before.

Wow, brilliant! not seen that one before. Interesting though, 2 instant ratios, and 2 straight chainlines. keep us posted! :)

FST4RD":296l6tb6 said:
What i'm currently working on, just to be different is what I call a double single speed.
Basically 2 front chain rings and 2 rear cogs. Reverse pull rear derailuer, normal front so they pull the same way. I then have 1 thumb shifter with the cable running underneith the down tube, which then using a canti stradle thing I have split the cable to the front and rear derailuer together.
When I move the shifter it shifts both derailuers at the same time shifting it from 1 ratio to another. Just working on the spacings of the rings and cogs.
Why?
Cause as far as i know it hasn't been done before.

love it
you must be like me ,in that you love fannying about with things
just because

you tried dual braking yet ?,both brakes from 1 lever , its suprisingly effective ,but i did find i liked individual brake control better in real techhy
trails , but super cool on a cruiser

Back