95 RM Vertex - R.I.P.

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
so i picked this up over the w/e. thought it was a decent score and was quite pleased with bringing it home. a 1995 Rocky Mountain Vertex in Ultra Green. included was a matching though faded mango Race Face RealSeal headset, a Ti Race Face stem :D, and XTR M900 front mech and BB. All in excellent condition!

Haven't seen many RM Vertex from the era, and doing a search here on RB shows it's quite scarce, and i may know the reason why… stripping the parts off to do a clean and inspect, to my sad disappointment i found a crack in the headtube. frame was in quite good condition, including paint and decals.

this is a tribute to it's existence… and it will live on through the parts coming off it on my other RM builds. :cry:

Attachments

• IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,469
  • IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,471
  • IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,471
  • IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,470
more pics…

Attachments

• IMG_1118.JPG
    IMG_1118.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,461
  • IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,460
  • IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,462
:( Sorry too see that mate..

Couldn't you get the headtube replaced? I think I would..

What'll you do with the frame now?

Its always sad to find out, that your newly aquired parts are (almost) scrap. :( From the look of the pics. I would assume, that the frame/bike had been used in its life, but not abbused. If that result in the crack in the headtube, or simply some paint left inside, prior the installation of the headset - only god knows ;)
Dont know, if that is weldable and also durable - but some monthes ago I saw a bike with the same problem, and the guy overcome that with a DIY headset cup - did look good and lasts.

oh dear :cry: makes me want to go out to the garage and check over my Proflex now....
Why not cut off the headtube and mount it on the wall, in the style of a set of deer antlers? :D

mikeekim89":2d61176j said:
:( Sorry too see that mate..

Couldn't you get the headtube replaced? I think I would..

+1

That is a nice frame. I would defo investigate getting a new headtube.

mikeekim89":3it2gca2 said:

right now, it's sitting pretty in the corner of my basement. not sure what to do with it… but i'd consider giving this away as karma to someone who'd want to give a go at repairing it.

Major22":3it2gca2 said:
That's a real shame Sad Is there a crack in the seatstay as well?

no, not that i'm aware of. what area are you looking at?

there is a dent in the top tube, right before the "Vertex" decals begin. didn't consider it an issue as it would have somewhat hidden when cabled up if built.

^^I was looking at the area directly below the "e" in Easton, but on closer inspection it looks more like a scratch than a crack.

RockiMtn":xyd0212g said:
mikeekim89":xyd0212g said:

right now, it's sitting pretty in the corner of my basement. not sure what to do with it… but i'd consider giving this away as karma to someone who'd want to give a go at repairing it.

I think that's a very good idea. It's a shame too retire such a beautiful frame. A new headtube and a respray and you'd be great.

If you do end up doing that over keeping it as art. Please would you let me know. :)

Back