Eggbeateers SUX!!!!!!

i got a pair when they first came out coz i thought they looked cool and the rep talked me into it, really liked them, didn't mind the excessive float, in fact really liked it.

then . . . i bought triple ti's for the road bike for blingness, not long after i snapped one of the axles . . . no warranty :(

then my original pair died as the main body shot off the axle into a hedge! the circlip and bearing inside had died, after rumaging around in the undergrowth for a while i had to clip the pedal to my shoe and carefully slide it back on to the axle to get home. i would have changed back to spuds then but i had bought 3 pairs of the cheap ones for my other bikes . . . mistake. :(

they have prematurely worn my shoes, and the cleats wear out at lightning speed by comparison with shimano etc and if you use the original egg beater (no cage) your foot has no support which can (in my case) cause knee issues as your foot tips to the side as you push down.

as their ad says . . . . . shimano works.

it might be dull but it works.

shopping list = 1 x xtr pedals, 3 x pdm540 that is the answer.

p.s if this post sounds depressing it's coz i'm still in bed after the work xmas party feeling rather poo, except for the memory of the strip club!! :D :LOL: :p :shock: ;)

Yeah, Eggbeater cleats don't last as long as Shimano, this is because Shimano cleats are made of steel and the Eggbeater cleats are made of brass.

The cleats are made of brass so that they can take the brunt of the wear. Otherwise the steel 'bars' of the Eggbeaters being quite thin would wear instead. My cleats last surprisingly well, I guess it's because once I'm clipped in I hardly ever unclip. ;)

I imagine that there's a tale of woe for just about every pedal out there...

Hmm... they don't look that different to the 515's I was using several years ago :? . They were great in the Summer but come Winter if I had to clamber over a muddy Nobby Stile I sometimes struggled to re-clip because of the mud issue.

Paul, are you using them now and what are they like in the gloop?

Not that I could change easily now anyway - all my bikes have Eggbeaters!

stevek":2kpiaaig said:
Paul, are you using them now and what are they like in the gloop?

I haven't had any issues, but then again perhaps i haven't encountered the sort of mud that would clog them up. The eggbeaters are supposed to be better when things get really sticky, but i find the action of the XT/XTR's really confidence inspiring.

My Zaskar had them mounted, I directly sold those cause they look like.......

On my Scale I ride the Ritchey WCS spd's, they do very wel. Do not use the cheaper Ritcheys they do sh#@ with me after several 100 miles.

I bought the Egg Beaters when they first came out also.
The engagement and release were allways fantastic but they suffered from "Roll over" If you didnt hit the pedal quite right they would roll two or three times. Very dangerous.
The bearings quickly gave up and after cajoling them along for awhile so did I.
Time just work without any problems.

Back