CUBE or GHOST instead of UK or USA mtb's?

I stand corrected.
For me a lot of modern bikes look the same anyway, so why pay more just for a name.
Good to see however that some brands have started to use a bit of colour again. Seems like the last decade has been nothing but black. (My Radon is black, but I'm planning on putting a green saddle and grips on)

That's a nice bike. Made popular from MTB competition RACES?

Yes I guess I agree with all that.

What I have to wonder how come they came to sell (GHOST & CUBE) in the UK in the 1st place.

I guess at RACES (Competitions elsewhere in the World or the UK) their models were seen, people liked and quick currency converter for the retail, surprised at a good deal and bought.

Or perhaps GHOST & CUBE was looking to expand it's distribution, and the dealers and customers really liked what they saw.

A theory, just a guess.

Tell you what I like their entry level full suspension:

CUBE XMS £1,150

GHOST ASX £1,000

Look at those, get one of those on bike to work scheme, wow what a deal.
And bike shops have these in stock, even near me:

FREETOWN SPORTS (GHOST)

and

RICHARDSON CYCLES (CUBE)

And of course Lincolnshire's only Cube dealer, one of only ten Premier Cube dealers in the whole of the UK ;)

www.cubebikeshop.co.uk (JC Cook Cycles, Grimsby)

We have 40 Cube bikes on display at the moment as well as clothing, parts and accessories!

The Germans are geniuses when it comes to bikes.

Storck, Musing, Corratec, Stevens, Wheeler, Focus - all fantastic bikes that went fairly unnoticed through the 90s, outside of Northern mainland Europe.

Cube and Ghost put German bike production back on the map in terms of volume and modernity in the early part of the last decade. Focus went through a major reconceptualisation soon after, in no small scale due to their amazing cyclocross bikes.

Frankly I am surprised that Focus aren't mentioned in the thread title. I suspect that is because they have no shop floor presence in the UK, as their importer is Wiggle. I picked them as choice number one for Cykelposten which is my shop. Quality/price equation blows the rest of the industry out of the water - including Cube and Ghost. And it's not just Wiggle pricing.

Focus even face BB shells on their cheapest road and cross bikes. NOBODY does that anymore. Their attention to detail is phenomenal. I've worked for Ghost and Cube dealers and they don't come close. Assembling a Focus bike is really just a quality check. Ghost and Cube take a lot longer to assemble.

CUBE: Grimsby, just across the Humber Bridge, nice one

Andy B":2ys99lo0 said:
And of course Lincolnshire's only Cube dealer, one of only ten Premier Cube dealers in the whole of the UK ;)

We have 40 Cube bikes on display at the moment as well as clothing, parts and accessories!

I didn't know that. So the Cube XMS 2011, have you got one in 16"?
I need to sit on one before I commit to buying one!

Re: CUBE: Grimsby, just across the Humber Bridge, nice one

srands":fbf7rmmo said:
Andy B":fbf7rmmo said:

I don't think we have an XMS in a 16" in the shop, we may have one in our store room though, I'll have a look tomorrow for ya.

CUBE & GHOST, I see why there are always in the MAGAZINE

So as MTB buyers seeing these CUBES & GHOSTS, cupping our hands together in glee of getting a quality FULL SUS for less.

And they definately cost less:
~ The Ghost ASX (£1000) is £400 cheaper then the Trek Fuel Ex5 and £250 cheaper then the Specialized Cambro Camp.
~ The Cube XMS (£1250) is £250 cheaper then the Trek Fuel Ex5 and £100 cheaper then the Specialized Cambro Camp.

Of course comparisons could be made to the Orange 5, but who wants a retrospective colossus that looks like an 80's calculator.

I'm sure the regular UK/USA made bikes will sell less of, but I don't think it will SEAL the fate of the likes of GIANT in the UK, or anything like that.

Re: CUBE: Grimsby, just across the Humber Bridge, nice one

Andy B":2tdbr69q said:
srands":2tdbr69q said:
Andy B":2tdbr69q said:

I don't think we have an XMS in a 16" in the shop, we may have one in our store room though, I'll have a look tomorrow for ya.

THANKS, I've had a look through your website, said no 16" were in stock and 7 days to order. But I used to work in a bikeshop, so I know the website stock file isn't absolutely every bike in the shop.

Anybody selling a 2011 small GHOST ASX 3700 or CUBE XMS?

Yer, I know my local shops stock for GHOSTS & CUBES is:
FULL SUS': 18"+
HARDTAILS: 16"+

And obviously the hardtails have slightly different geometry due to different length suspension forks, but a small difference of 2cm-3cm can make the difference to me of, ZERO or 1" of crotch clearance.

So trying a small full sus GHOST or CUBE in a bike shop, hasn't been so easy so far as I thought it would be! Alternatively, if somebody has bought a small full sus GHOST or CUBE, and it's too big for them, I'm listening!

So is anybody selling a 2011 small GHOST ASX 3700 or CUBE XMS? or similar?

Steph, Just in case you hadn't twigged, Andy above (at JC Cook cycles) you already know him and you've ridden with him (came to the Old Railway Tunnel with us)

Back