1950's Viking restoration advice needed

Ciclicasati

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,
Long time lurker on here. I have bought a 1950's Viking frameset wirth the intention of rebuilding to a nice standard. Im not sure of the frame model- i think its a Mileater or Tour of Britain frame. I ride Cervelo's and and have experience building bikes with modern parts Campy Record 11 and Ultegra 6600 etc but not kit that would suit this frame. I dont know where to start. I imagine 1950's gearing etc isnt widely available anymore or that good. Can anyone suggest what i should build this up with that wont look out of place?

If anyone has any of this stuff i'd be interested to hear about it. I need everything inc a new bb and headset. Wheel spacing is 120mm and 95mm.

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29220140@N ... 872673851/

Hi, firstly, you must think what do you want to create, whats your approach. You can create an exact catalogue copy ( can be too good and expensive to ride ! ), assemble a bike that just looks fifties with parts that are from fifties, sixties, or seventies ( nearly the same vintage steel bike configuration covers 1930's to the late 1970's ), or modernise it ( not the suggested approach ). The middle option is my perferred one, as it makes the bike useable and not a museum piece. Parts can be got on flea bay or at bike jumbles http://www.bikejumbles.co.uk/, buying old junked whole bikes can be useful for parts as well. The wheels are the tricky part, hubs and 27 inch rims can be found, 36/36 hole rims are easier to find than the 32/40 fifties rim hole pattern. Its all down to you. Terry

Looks like it has Cyclo (Benelux) rear ends? The only gear that can really work on them is - a Cyclo Benelux. In a way you're lucky to still have the threaded hanger part as many were cut off to fit Campagnolo etc. gears. Does it have gear lever bosses brazed to the frame? If so, these also may well be Benelux ones in which case the only levers that will work - are Benelux. Benelux rear mechs can be found in usable condition along with front mechs (both rod and cable operated) and finding them is all part of the 'fun' of sourcing bits for period bikes.

I have a late 50's Pennine with full Benelux gearing and find it works OK (if a bit 'agricultural') once you get used to the 'low normal' system.

To keep the period British theme look for GB brakes and 'bars, Brooks saddle etc. If you can't then Weinmann, Pivo, Milremo etc. bits will all be in period and build up into a very nice machine.

Thanks for your replies.
I had heard something about Benelux only mechs.. I assumed it couldn’t possibly be true. No braze on lever mounts so that’s ok. So do I need to find a Benelux mech first as that will determine what gear cassette block and therefore wheels I can use or were Benelux only for 5/6 or 7 speed or something which means I can find a wheel etc and mech later?
The rear spacing seems to be 125mm – does that determine what wheel/gear block I can use?
I have a nice pair of Weinmann brakes and levers lined up with a brooks saddle but I was hoping to put Nuovo record on…change of plan I guess.

If you see anything I might fancy please send it my way. Thanks.

Ciclicasati":1e9a2j1i said:
Also the mech hanger is unthreaded.. how does it attach?

My wife had a Gitane with an unthreaded mech hanger and the Simplex rear mech came with a bolt that went through the hanger from the inside and into a threaded portion on the top pivot of the mech. Like this one:

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... &AbsPos=48

That could be possibility if it fits your dropout. I can't see the pictures at work so apologies if this is a stupid suggestion!

Mark.

daccordimark":3rraj72i said:
Ciclicasati":3rraj72i said:
Also the mech hanger is unthreaded.. how does it attach?

My wife had a Gitane with an unthreaded mech hanger and the Simplex rear mech came with a bolt that went through the hanger from the inside and into a threaded portion on the top pivot of the mech. Like this one:

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... &AbsPos=48

That could be possibility if it fits your dropout. I can't see the pictures at work so apologies if this is a stupid suggestion!

Mark.

The original (and probably later also) Simplex Prestige mechs were something like that although I remember (possibly wrongly!) that the bit that went though the hanger from the rear was 'female' threaded and the 'male' part was on the mech. I had one of them BITD because the hanger in my frame, even though it was threaded, was ovalised! A Campag mech would not screw in so I had to file the diameter of the 'female' part down slightly to reduce its diameter to fit through the hanger hole.

Cyclo rear ends should be threaded so therefore, is the frame dropout possibly a Simplex one and not a Cyclo? It should be stamped on whatever it is. If so, the lever boss should also be Simplex and therefore unique, accepting only Simplex levers. If there is only one boss on the right then a rod-operated front mech is the right way to go.

Early Benelux and Simplex mechs and levers do turn up at jumbles, e-bay etc. but they're not very common. However, finding them is all part of the fun - isn't it?

Benelux Mark 7 mechs were made for 3 x 1/8-4 x 3/32 and 4 x 1/8-5 x 3/32 and were marked accordingly. Always check the markings stamped on the mech to make sure it's the one you want.

A 125 (actually 126 officially) rear end basically dictates a 5 - speed set-up although 6 can be squeezed in occasionally. A 'compact 6' block is better which is only slightly wider than a normal 5.

Latest posts

Back