1981 Chris Chance Criterium: 2011 RBUK Road Bike of the Year

yo-Nate-y":3nyv90jx said:
.....and the vote is on!
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154472

Just after I finally got some higher rez pictures ;)

IMG_2445.jpg

Gorgeous bike, but that front wheel really needs relacing.

um...with what?

Ah---I read "replacing" not "relacing" ---why's that? I've not yet delved into wheel building--what's the scoop?

yo-Nate-y":2hlqwz40 said:
um...with what?

Ah---I read "replacing" not "relacing" ---why's that? I've not yet delved into wheel building--what's the scoop?

Normally for the front wheel you have all the trailing spokes on the outside of the flange and leading on the inside. ie the spokes are symetrical in pattern about the centre of the hub when viewed from the front.

On your hub one side is laced so they trail and the other so they lead. Its a common error for inexperienced wheel builders.

I’m probably being a touch pedantic, but when the rest of the build is so nice, I find it does detract a little.

Especially if you've got close up pictures enough to tell! ;)

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. What's the damage wheel-wise? Now that it is on my radar I'll probably get it relaced eventually (or better yet, use this as an excuse to finally make a foray into wheelbuilding). Thanks for the eagle eyes!

yo-Nate-y":3rxfydvn said:
Especially if you've got close up pictures enough to tell! ;)

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. What's the damage wheel-wise? Now that it is on my radar I'll probably get it relaced eventually (or better yet, use this as an excuse to finally make a foray into wheelbuilding). Thanks for the eagle eyes!

Silver spokes on a black hub also make it show up too ;)

If the wheel is staying true then you can easily leave it, but if it bugs you then it's a relatively simple task to loosen off the spokes and re-lace one side, and wheel building is always a useful art to learn. :cool:

I'll keep an eye on things. In any case--thanks for spotting that!

And the rBOTM vote/race continues! I've been happy that Chance has been off the front the whole time, but damned if Lemond hasn't been drafting awfully close! ;)

Back