Voodoo DJab - Quick update 16/04/2012

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
After selling my R853 Sirius in a moment of madness last year I fancied getting back to having a dedicated single speed bike but with the versatility of gears etc if needed.

Basically I wanted another Pipedream esq bike but without the weight :? of the Pipedream frame*

So when this came up for sale I snapped it up.

Geometry and sizing wise its almost the same as the Sirius. Bit longer in the TT - Which is a good thing for me.

On my kitchen scales with dropouts and seatclamp the frame weighed 1840g - In my mind this isn't bad for a 20'' frame.

Currently built up with what I had - except forks.

No idea on weight - feels pretty light.

Still some fettling to do but hopefully its maiden voayage will early next week.

Anyhoo pics - albeit rubbish ones :)

IMGP2163.jpg

IMGP2161.jpg

IMGP2158.jpg

* Although I never found it problematic the 19'' was nearly 1.5lb heavier than my same sized Soul :-(

➡️ ➡️ Quick update 27/06/2011

I have had this frame built up for a while now. The aim with the build was, if I were to get on with the frame, make it into a light XC bike for longer rides maybe even a little racing :oops: :LOL:

Not long after building it the pics above I added gears :LOL: I do enjoy SS but the bike is a whole heap more capable with "9 out back" a dare say the rider is too!

The rigid fork out front was never my intention but a slight mis calculation on HT lengths meant none of my suspension forks fit! :oops:

This, whilst not intentional, has proved useful. The frame would have been sold with a 140mm Fox fork out front a la this one:

17jpg.jpg

As it is with a 100mm suspension corrected rigid fork the bars are quite high. With a longer fork imagine the handling would be interesting to say the least!

So as future plans go I will be looking for a 100mm travel fork and I will run flat bars.

As is in the pic below the ride is really rather good. Nice bit of flex but no where near the flex I found in my old Hei Hei.

Weight is ?? feels light but I have an amazing ability to make even the lightest bikes, frames & bits heavy! In due course I will be looking to lighten up what is there.

So thats it for now. If you have read this far ..... bravo!

Final pic for now:

P1010007.jpg

Edit: 16/04/2012

Been using this bike for a while now and am getting to a stage where I am happyish with the build.

This is the lightest geared build I have ever built up. I acknowledge that weight isn't everything but I would like this to be a light build for giving racing a try and just something to balance the heavier builds I have.

All this talk of sub 20lb builds baffles me :LOL:

➡️ So quick pic:

IMG_0134.jpg

➡️
Build sheet

Frame: Voodoo Djab 20''

Fork: 2012 RS Reba (SID lowers)

Headset: Hope
Stem: Thomson 100mm
Handlebar: Easton EA70
Grips: ODI Lock On

Brakes: Magura Louise Carbon (160/160)

Shifters: X9
Front Derailleur: X9
Rear Derailleur: X0
Cassette: PG990
Chain: SRAM 991
Cranks: Current XT Triple

Bottom Bracket: KCNC Easton Version
Pedals: XT SPD

Hub Skewers: Superstar Ti
Rims: DT XR400
Hubs: Pro II Evo
Nipples: DT
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Bontrager XR Team
Tubes: STD Specialized ones

Saddle: WTB Team Ti
Seatpost: Hope
Seatpost Binder: Hope

Weight: 24lbs 8 Weighed today by my excellent LBS on their Park Tools scale

I guess seatpost, stem & handlebars may be holding a big of weight, foam grips - but I cannot see this making a huge difference :?

I acknowledge that if I changed everything to the very best out there it would be lighter but I am keen to keep this real world where possible.

Cheers,

MArk

markoc":2n6o401r said:
Not only does that look great, but it looks seriously quick too!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Thank you squire - No real thought went into the aesthetics just what I had already :D

I think the speed will be limited by the rider :LOL: :LOL:

Back