Calling all Specialized Ultimate owners.

jez-2-many-bikes":456wql0a said:
Wow! What a find!

How the hell do you strip that? slow methodical application of nitromors I guess?

nitromors & carbon is a definate no-no as it softens the carbon. same as finish line bike lust on the old GT sts.

yo eddy, PMed you extensively last nite :) ..I'll check for normal frame number location & let you know... from memory its b.b shell on the epics & drive side dropout on the ultimates

the info I sent yo eddy for general consumption if interested :)

"what surprises me most about this bike is that its obviously blue! I'm guessing this is a re-spray as all other epics I've seen have always been black. Have you read the specialized 25th anniversary book? theres a good pic in there (also on mtb-catalogue.de) of the earlier steel lugged epic. I'd definately estimate the age of yours around the 88-89 era purely due to the under the chainstays U brake. in 1990 they were definately on the seatstays. the solid top eye seatstay lug is a dead give away that its an epic

If you ever wondered? the easiest way to visibly check between a steel lugged epic & the ti lugged ultimate (as in the pre 92 both models were all black, from 92-95 the ultimate had painted grey lugs) is purely down to the dropouts. the epic normally has a braze on above the dropout & the dropouts are much rounder. on the ultimate the dropout looks pure old skool merlin & are much more "squared off". Amusingly the exact same steel canti studs on the epic were also used on all the ti made ultimates (a magnet reveals the truth!)

from 88-92 only 2000 steel lugged epics were made in total & they've become exceptionally rare bikes! Although the merlin ti models are perhaps more well known & lusted after, despite being made in lesser numbers (1500 from 1990-95) going on my continuous searches I actually think the steel lugged epics are a lot rarer.. purely as I never see any! "

I´ll strip (of parts NOT of paint yet :LOL: ) the bike as soon as possible (but I´ll be in Spain next week :? )
And will post more detailled foto´s. Also will try to get some info from the former owner(s).
Thanx till so far anyway
anyone a scan of the 25th Specialized book (melvin??)

yo-eddy":9gkgu9yg said:
anyone a scan of the 25th Specialized book (melvin??)

Nope

Buy one yourself. Would be a great addition the bike you now have

2000 is indeed not much :shock:

More info!!
Just received a mail from the former owner, he bought the bike from a small bikeshop in Amsterdam in 1997, got the frame resprayed 2 years later :( and says he regretted it later. Try to get in contact with this shop.
Means I'm the third owner and now have to find a way to get that damn paint off :D any sugestions??
But still for 75 euro's think it's a real bargain!!!

Elev12k":1fb46p70 said:
Wasn't it he even brought it to you? :LOL:

Nop, that was the Zaskar guy :D
This one brought it to his parents house wich saved me approx. 60miles, not bad either huh

Back