First build - 1997 Orange X1

retrodino

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hi all,
I've just finished (well nearly anyway) my first retro build.
It hasn't touched any dirt (yet) just a quick check to make sure everything works. Woohoo it does! My god I forgot how short flat bars felt.

A little bit of History of this bike.
Frame bought in 98 from Recycle 'Bromley' - Fell in love with it!
Tried to sell the frame and wheels on here a few years ago. Eventually decided to build it back to its former glory. 3 years later and finally there, bar some pedals and maybe replacing some of the newer kit (not sure - will have to see how she rides first)
The inspriration was to build it back to the catalogue model, but half way through decided to add a little bling (may have gone too far tho?)

Spec to follow....

Attachments

• IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,981
  • IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,981
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,981
  • IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 1,981
I have a soft spot for the X1 - the only bike I have ever bought new (well, frame only). Rode it into the ground. Still have a rusty front end and shock in the cellar. The rear triangle went onto somebody else's on the forum and hopefully is being used :D

orange71":2jvnpwx4 said:
I have a soft spot for the X1 - the only bike I have ever bought new (well, frame only). Rode it into the ground. Still have a rusty front end and shock in the cellar. The rear triangle went onto somebody else's on the forum and hopefully is being used :D

It certainly has been buddy every day, many thanks. Just packing up ready for the move north now.

How sad that I remember the very bike you are sporting here OP being for sale on this forum some time ago. Loks nice. M750 hubs if I recall?

Ha, just read your thread properly, it was you trying to sell it. If you are still keen to return it to catalogue spec I have the correct stem in my parts box.

It was me trying to sell the frame and wheels. M750 Hubs correct, unfortunately everything else went onto the Marin.
Have tried for M739 Group on this one.
I have been umming and arring about the stem, took the opportunity to get a NOS Ritchey stem while it was available. Then missed out on an orange one on ebay a few weeks later, but can remember them being a little bit of a strech at 130mm. Might give it a go though, depending on how much you want for it? I have been quite shocked at the cost of building up retro's. I think the M739 bits I have bought are more expensive than when they were new!

Back