20mm play problems

kieran9990

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all,

Right ive swapped my old monster t's for a set of 2007 marzocchi sl1 ata forks

They problem i have is that when i fit my wheel in the new forks i have loads of play even when its locked up tight???

Not aure what to do as it was fine in the monsters but in these theres masses of play???

The monsters were 2001 so has there been a change in width on the hibs since then???

Also the disc is almost touching the bottom post mount in the fork.

Absolutly gutted , nothings ever simple

Kieran

Just been looking at these,

Whats happening is the 20mm hub with spacers on each side is around 107mm meaning when i lock the axle tight the left lower stantion is being pulled into the v2 rotor. The soloution i think is to make a spacer to tighten the lateral movment and love the rotor off the post mount

The play i can feel i think must be due to a worn 20mm axle as the hub ran fine on the old type monster t axle?

That sound likes it makes sense without seeing pictures i know its hard to be 100%

Kieran

I had similar problem - are they the All Mountain SL1s? What you might be missing is a rubber/plastic washer that sits (iirc) on the qr side of the axle... Mine did this and it was a bloody headache, until I found it on the grass by my shed, where I put on/took off the front wheel!!! Mine was a light blue colour if it helps you find it? A normal o ring would probably do the job as well....

It might be a similar problem as it sounds exactly the same problem as I had - I thought the axle was worn or the bearings were fubared, something terminal but it was just the bloody washer!!!! I could wobble the wheel with my hand a good few mm in each direction (left to right), hopefully nothing to worry about.....

Fixed!!

Turned up some 3mm spacers at work, powder coated them and raced home to give them a try.

Placed one in between the fork leg and the hub on the disc side and hey presto all sorted. No more wheel play and the fork leg is no longer pulling into the disc.

Thankyou all for your replys!

Kieran

Back