John Talen's Panasonic PR6000

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Spotted this thoroughbred on our largest classified site a couple days ago. Too big for me, but there is a tall gent, a fellow Retrobiker, of who I knew that he likes my own PR6000 quite a lot. After an enthousistic initial reaction I decided to collect John Talen's old 'work horse' this morning :)

5866602455_7a8a0e2557_b.jpg

1st modification: touring pedals gone >>

5867161484_8518ed5db4_b.jpg

"John Talen" >>

5867158756_b870a7b708_z.jpg

The frame is built by Jan Legrand. Legrand built the 'ploeg-Post' (team of manager Peter Post) frames already since the TI Raleigh years. Under the bracket I read "JT-3": the 3rd frame for John Talen in a certain season, probably 1990 or 1991. John Talen were the tallest and heaviest rider in the TdF back than. The seattube measures 64.5cm from center to top and the toptube 590mm. For a serious tall person who dreams of owning an ex-team bike hunting after a bike of John is pretty much the only option he has. A rare oppertunity.

The extended steerer and seattube are typical for the Panasonic teambikes. You didn't see it on the bikes the customer could buy.

I find it awesome too :)

On the PR6000 model:

Highly refined professional roadbike by Panasonic of Japan. Full Tange Prestige tubing. Lugged constuction, handbrazed with silver. 28.6mm diameter tubing for full front triangle for added stability in sprinting, cornering and descending. Own investment cast frameparts.

Panasonic is very well known as electronics company, but they have also been devoted to bicycle manufacturing since around the the 50s of the last century. From the early 80s on Panasonic sponsored a pro road race team. The Panasonic team had evolved from the TI Raleigh team. While Panasonic itself already carried a wide line up of bicycles with among them really fine examples through the 80s, the team still competed on bikes from established names like Raleigh, Merckx and Colnago.

In a recent Tour de France aftertalk on Dutch television ex Panasonic team pro Henk Lubberding explained about the beginning of the PR6000 team bicycle. For 1990 Japan were give the honour of organizing the Worlds and this made the Panasonic company -possibly the largest conglomerate ever involved in bicycle manufacturing- decide to finally get an own thoroughbred ready for the team. The bike had to be used not only for the Worlds event, but also in all European pro races the upcoming years. Lubberding and head mechanic Jan Legrand were flown into Japan and extensive testing was done. Varying tubing, diameters and angles all with the aim to create the best ride for the European courses. The result was the PR6000 that made its appearance in 1990. In the last year before its appearance the Colnagos used were often actually PR6000s prototypes in disguise.

The production PR6000 was sold as complete bike only, equipped with full Dura Ace. The US market never had the oppertunity to welcome the PR6000 as by '89 Panasonic had withdrawn from the US market due to skyrocketed Yen. In Holland the purchase of a PR6000 set you back 6998 guilders in 1991.

This is mine >>>

3302861865_50573e218b_z.jpg

One of John Talen's achievements was the winning of the 1986 Time Trial world title with the Dutch national team >>

BatavusTT.jpg

Talen (l) and the team raced to the title on special Batavus Professionals.

Also a couple years later Talen contributed to time trial success. This catalogue page makes mention of the team time trial win in the 1990 edition of the TdF, among many other achievements >>

main.php

Superb !

Hi mate
Once again another superb addition to the stable :cool:
In incredible condition and with a pedigree to match.
If its too big then hang it on the wall ;)
Jamie

Really sweet.

Wikipedia (not always the most reliable) has John Talen riding for Panasonic-Isostar from 1987 to 1990, so does that make this a 1990?

Re: Superb !

Jamiedyer":h44h50pc said:
Hi mate
Once again another superb addition to the stable :cool:
In incredible condition and with a pedigree to match.
If its too big then hang it on the wall ;)
Jamie

Not mine anymore Jamie. I collected it with the idea to move on to Ed and the Pana has already been paid for.

So, won't be a wallhanger, but it is really going to be enjoyed on British roads ;)

ededwards":3na6tso5 said:
Really sweet.

Wikipedia (not always the most reliable) has John Talen riding for Panasonic-Isostar from 1987 to 1990, so does that make this a 1990?

You did your investigation already and you did it well. In the 1991 season Talen raced for PDM-Concorde. 1990 was the 1st year for the PR6000.

Concluding your bike must be from 1990.

Back