1989 Saracen Tufftrax.

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello all. Since I found retrobike I'd wanted another '89 Tufftrax to relive memories of my first ever MTB. I got hold of a Saracen Eiger frame in the same colour and from the same year but then won a proper Tufftrax so let the Eiger frame go. The Tufftrax I bought came with very few original parts so I slowly replaced gear with the proper Mountain LX mechs and other parts that were period, if not build, correct. I kind of never really paid it the attention it deserved (don't think I even got round to starting a thread on it?) so sold it on when someone posted a wanted add for an 80's Saracen. I had to build it up from a pile of parts for the sale and when it was finished I started to regret promising it to another as the ugly Duckling pile of dirty parts turned in to a clean and shiny Swan that reminded me of why I bought one all those years ago :roll: Anyway, I'd said it could go so off it went to a new home. I had too many bikes on the go and too little room so it was probably for the best.

Almost as soon as the old bike had gone on to patures new I spotted another Tufftrax on ebay that was not too far away. I happened to be at home when the auction finished so in a fit of ebay rage I was once again the proud owner or a 1989 Saracen Tufftrax. On collecting the bike I could see that it was in a bit of a sorry state but did seem to be quite original. I got it home and had a proper look and was delighted to find that apart from the tyres it was exactly as it had left the shop (probably even down to the rusty cables!). Although covered in a thick layer of grime and with some surface rust everything seemed to work as it should. I got a real buzz out of remembering little details from my first bike like the brand of hub and bb that was a nightmare to remove when I was 12. :cool:

I stripped it down, put all the parts in a special box then promptly forgot about it as it was relegated to the cupboard under the stairs :LOL: My quarterly urge to get rid of nearly everything hit again recently and I decided to build the Tufftrax up and move it on. Since I had some spare time today and I was cleaning my 5 I gave the Tufftrax frame a bit of spit and polish. As you can imagine my enthusiasm for it returned and I'm now set to give it the restoration it deserves. No where near finished yet but I thought I'd get this thread started with some pictures of how the old girl arrived at my house. Updates to follow. :D

Attachments

• Tufftrax 009.jpg
    Tufftrax 009.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 9,486
  • Tufftrax 008.jpg
    Tufftrax 008.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 9,487
  • Tufftrax 007.jpg
    Tufftrax 007.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 9,486
  • Tufftrax 006.jpg
    Tufftrax 006.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 9,486
More...

Attachments

• Tufftrax 013.jpg
    Tufftrax 013.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 9,483
  • Tufftrax 012.jpg
    Tufftrax 012.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 9,483
  • Tufftrax 011.jpg
    Tufftrax 011.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 9,483
  • Tufftrax 010.jpg
    Tufftrax 010.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 9,483
Last few 'before' pictures.

Attachments

• Tufftrax 017.jpg
    Tufftrax 017.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 9,482
  • Tufftrax 016.jpg
    Tufftrax 016.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 9,483
  • Tufftrax 015.jpg
    Tufftrax 015.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 9,482
  • Tufftrax 014.jpg
    Tufftrax 014.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 9,482
Love the colour.

Looks like a fair bit of wire brushing on some parts but underneath is a tidy bike. Frame and forks look in good nick.

Really nice. Bias to Saracens but that is lovely.

Cheers Coomber. Yeah, under the grime it's in great nick with the paint nice and bright + the decals in good condition. Here's some pictures from today after I cleaned, T-Cut and polished the frame. Wheels look like they'll come up well with a bit of Autosol, the cassette already looks like new :D

Attachments

• tufftrax 030.jpg
    tufftrax 030.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 9,465
  • tufftrax 029.jpg
    tufftrax 029.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 9,466
  • tufftrax 028.jpg
    tufftrax 028.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 9,465
  • tufftrax 027.jpg
    tufftrax 027.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 9,465
I fully intend to rebuild with the front, rear and wheel reflectors :cool:

The bike seems to have had little use as there's still some paint on the rims. When I got mine bitd I lost all the rim paint within a week!

Attachments

• tufftrax 026.jpg
    tufftrax 026.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 9,463
that looks a good start point edd
a bit of a departure for you too

get on with it then :LOL:

gettin a bit of saracen love myself ;)

Ooooo, tell us more Mike!

Hoping to have this in rideable condition for the Malham ride next week so updates will be incoming.

mikee":h33ozibx said:
ade^ might tell you

e-stay honey tho

You,ve bought one of the NOS E-stays from bankrupt bikes ;)

Hoping to have this in rideable condition for the Malham ride next week so updates will be incoming.

looking forward to seeing it on the ride ;) (No pressure Ed) :LOL:

Latest posts

Back