2000 (ish) Marzocchi Bomber Z1's - Fault Query!!

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
Hi All,

Had these forks for about 5/6 years, but i stopped using them a couple of year back due to one of the blue anodised adjusters "popping off" on a ride never to be seen again.

I had the forks in a local bike shop who told me they wanted £100 to repair them. I naturally walked away - the forks only cost me £120 off ebay!

My question is: What IS actually wrong with them? They seem to still work as smooth as ever and i cant see any oil leaks etc. Are they useable in this state or is it terminal?

Finally, could i repair them myself (pretty handy with a spanner).

Pics:
IMG02280-20110622-2006.jpg

IMG02282-20110622-2007.jpg

IMG02283-20110622-2007.jpg

Thanks for reading, any help much appreciated!

Joe

looks like the preload adjuster has wound into the fork. Shouldn't be a hard fix. The manuals are online somewhere and you can buy the seals on ebay and oil from a local motorbike factor.

Thanks for that ill have a look for the manuals online,

I was under the impression that the blue anodised adjuster also acts as a sort of clip, and holds the pre-load adjuster up?

Not sure, might just get hold of some manuals and take them apart and investigate!

Cheers,

Joe

Had a quick look at mine this morning. It should be held up with a circlip on the top there. The blue adjuster goes on afterwards

Ah yes, i've just been looking at a manual for Z1's like mine and they do indeed have a small circlip holding the rod up.

Technically then, if i can manage to get the rod out of the leg and secure it with the correct circlip, ill be able to use the forks? If needs be a could adjust the preload with a pair of pliers or similar (assuming i cant get hold of another adjuster)

Cheers,

Joe

Yeah pretty much. I managed to pick up a new adjuster for mine for a couple of quid on here

onza100":2op5xvpd said:
Yeah pretty much. I managed to pick up a new adjuster for mine for a couple of quid on here

Excellent! Thanks for all your help.

Just need to find a right-size circlip now and i'm away!!

Cheers

Joe

Joe_Rides":3p184phh said:
Technically then, if i can manage to get the rod out of the leg and secure it with the correct circlip, ill be able to use the forks? If needs be a could adjust the preload with a pair of pliers or similar (assuming i cant get hold of another adjuster)

Yes, its just lost the E clip from the top and not returned on rebound. You may need to take the top cap off to wind the preload to minimum prior to reinstalling.

Rather than using pliers a small adjustable spanner is much better for adjusting the preload as it won't damage the flat sides like a pair of pliers do.

Back