Carbone Wheel Waterlogged!

steveonstumpy

Dirt Disciple
Any suggestions from all you clever peeps?

Title says it all really I rode my old style Mavic Carbone wheels in the Summer Solstice downpour and the rim fairings have filled with water!!! How can I get rid of it?

if it got in its got to be able to get out? place it in an airing cupboard would be my suggestion...but i'd be worried about heating them too quickly and risking damaging them, just put them somewhere warm and wait for it to evaporate.

The water got in via the holes between the bladed spokes & the rim fairing (these are the old style wheels...Retrobike right!!!)

Its not gonna evaporate & there is a fair amount in there by the sound of it I may have to, reluctantly, drill a pin hole in the rim.

Any other ideas???

Try and get in touch with Mavic direct or UK disti?

Long shot but you never know they may have some old sage who knows the lot still.

I had a set of Cosmic Carbones - I seem to remember that there was a small drain hole by the valve stem hole, a couple of mm from where the fairing is bonded to the rim. If I just imagined that, you could try taking the tyre and tube off and see if the water will run out of the valve hole.

Been for a dry ride today the front seems to have mostly drained the rear is slowly shedding the water.

This seems to be a known issue & I guess those with mechanics don't care coz the answer seems to be remove tyre, tube & rim tape. :cry: I am pretty sure there isn't a drain hole....might be one there later :)

Thanks for your help folks

On the earlier model of these wheels, there used to be a ~3mm drain hole ... on the side, just above where the carbon bonds to the inner rim. Yours might be blocked?

If yours don't have it, it would be ok to drill one (the carbon is not structural) but be very careful not to drill into the inner rim.

You guys are good! Front wheel slowie repaired today and sure enough under the fancy stickers.... Two drain holes per wheel! Gently eased out the holes all sorted!!! Happy days thanks very much

Back