How old is this Phillips and what shall i do with it ?

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
i have just become the proud owner of an elderly Phillips Lightweight Tourist 531 Frame set , 2 questons

1. how old is it? frame number is stamped on rr drop out on left hand side and is B85235 i think , a very small 531 sticker on top of downtube not seen that small before ,cottered type cank complete with oil port on top of bottom bracket shell .

2. cant make my mind up what to do with it yet as in a very original condition , wheels are only placed in for a guide and quick check to see if 27" will fit

see link for pics

https://cid-bed2130ad9f4055c.skydrive.l ... 4HRvPA8%24

any ideas or answers greatfully received

Attachments

• phillips.jpg
    phillips.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 2,524
Hi, the small 531 sticker can be found on a lot of top models produced by mass bike manufacturers from the early to mid fifties ( Elswick, Dawes, Phililips ). Assuming its this type of date ( the oil filler points to it ) Phillips, I believe in the early fifties, only had its Vox Populi model with 531 tubing, the rest were 'true temper' steel, are there decals pointing to it being lightweight tourist ? They did extend the range with 531 tubing later in the fifties, this may or may not help with dating ! As far as keeping it, its a piece of social history that is useable and can be rebuild how you want it ( retro or modernised ), it will be different than any of your modern mass produced chinese clones. Terry

oldtel , yes it says lightwieght tourist on the down tube , after Phillips wording .

i am either thinking of giving paintwok good clean and biulding it up on 27" wheels and a 5 speed block and use it as is along with new headset and a modern bottom bracket , o have it stripped and then re painted o stove enamelled and build to base 5 speed old spec , but just cant make my mind up .

I've 'inherited' an old (tatty) Phillips recently. Ill get some pictures taken on monday (it's at work) and stick them up here. Youre welcome to any bits that may be useful.

Karl

old tel & grumpycommuter

thanks both for your help and i will start cleaning between other jobs / projects and show you how i get on , first thing i might need are some wheels should they be 26" or 27" who knows

just a quick update frame has cleaned up nicely so off to lbs to have head set and bottom bracket done along with an Atom flip flop hubbed 27" wheel built , more updates to follow

this is still sat awaiting time and hardware , but have just finished off apart from fine tuning and testing miles another Phillips framed bike , was just going to take pics when the heavens opened , so will post some soon

i'm glad the original body work came up well. i would always favour letting an old bike be old :) look forward to seeing the pics!

Back