Mountain Mayhem 2011 - Official Aftermath Thread

Indeed. A blatant disregard for the rules and then an erroneous claim of victory comes across as slightly underhand. A bit like claiming a win by crossing the line a few seconds early on a slow roll-over group finish.

Shame on you bears. Shame on you.

What next...? Riding modern bikes...?

I shall begin my contribution to the thread by saying...

'If any of you out there are contemplating going to Mayhem for the first time, or one of the other ride-outs throughout the year, but are in two minds as to whether you'd fit in - just do it. A nicer, friendlier bunch of people you couldn't hope to meet...' :cool:

This was my first and certainly won't be the last - even though this time I was reduced to the role of mortified spectator after missing a gear on the Friday and aggravating an old knee injury - top marks to Chris for accepting my race-pack and putting in a lap...

Special mention also to Craig for not hating me when I pointed John in his direction when we were another man short - and his lovely wife Amy for being such a good sport in the face of some decidedly dubious banter... :LOL:

The 'Terrible Trio' on the heckle-phone would have got a laugh out of a corpse! Whenever a particularly serious rider went steaming past it was 'IT'S NOT A RACE YOU KNOW!!' followed in the same breath by 'PEDAL! IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A RACE YOU KNOW!!' at a slower rider... Priceless :LOL:

The Saturday evening/night sound & light show was awsome - Dr Feelgoods 'Back in the Night' blasting out at 11 o'clock at night was worth the trip by itself!

...and who would have thought watching a bunch of people in various stages of inebriation playing 'giant jenga' could have been so entertaining!

Following my own misfortune it fell to my boy Karl to restore the family pride when he stood in for another missing rider.

With absolutely no preperation, no previous experience and not even having ridden a bike for two years at least, he went out at half eleven and did a 1 hour 30 lap, in the dark, on a bike I finished only the day before!

100_1377.jpg

Battered, bloodied and bruised ("I saw this bush giving me attitude and gave it a Glasgow Kiss on the way past!") but elated at five past one in the morning - complete with ice pack on his shoulder... :cool:

Special mention also to Jon for being such a great team captain (and having to go out and do an extra lap wearing MY wristband so that the team got their time/medals!) and even giving me the medal I didn't deserve... Top man :cool:

It was a fantastic weekend (too much to mention) and if I hadn't been there with the Retrobike crowd I'd have wished I was - what a great bunch you really are. We will definitely be back next year...

More disturbing even than his slacks, is what edwards is doing with his left hand while wearing them standing next to me! :LOL:

Looking through THIS gallery on STW I've found a few of you.

I'm sure there are more, but this was from a very quick flick through looking for RB apparel.

DSC_0877_800_singletrack_watermark.jpg

DSC_1236_800_singletrack_watermark.jpg

DSC_1604_800_singletrack_watermark.jpg

DSC_2146_800_singletrack_watermark.jpg

DSC_2170_800_singletrack_watermark.jpg

DSC_2167_800_singletrack_watermark.jpg

DSC_2228_800_singletrack_watermark.jpg

DSC_2242_800_singletrack_watermark.jpg

Using the suit

Some great pics, its now Wednesday and my legs are still recovering from the run...
One thing i did discover is that my Suit actually generates more heat than the sun, although whether its on the same level as the bear outfit is probably debatable.
Thanks to one and all for the support/heckling - heading past the Retro enclave at the end of the 1st lap was amazing. Unfortunately being only 24hrs i managed to run out of time and never did a lap on the 2me2u - never mind, there is always next year.
Speaking of which im already considering 1st lap outfits, its important to find the right balance of retro/ridiculous.
One classic heckle from JV as i was coming through the arena for the 2nd half of my lap and he was heading back towards the finish - "go on Fatty!". Thanks John.

40mpg":3o7q4cvj said:
Has anyone got Adams number? He hugs goooood!

Al from the Sumo's

adam is my mate! :LOL: i took the photo of you getting hugged! the little sod used to work for me and used to walk into the workshop at the shop we both worked at and grab me for a massive bear hug just to annoy me! :shock: :LOL:

he does it as he knows i have a rule about personal space! meaning don't get in mine!! :LOL:

i'll tell him you asked for his number but despite his man hugging fetish he does actually have a girlfriend! :LOL:

Back