Nicolai Argon FR

wynne

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I didn't want a new bike. I just saw this in 18 bikes in Hope. I couldn't afford it, so I bought it and then thought about paying for it later. That's not the sort of thing I normally do. I was just so taken with it.

It wasn't quite like this when I bought. It was built to be a little bit more 'gnar', as modern parlance would have it. It had Pikes, 27 SRAM gears and SLX cranks.

I've stuck a new DT Swiss 140mm fork on it, 1x10 XT drivetrain (11-36 cassette) and my old Middleburns with an 36 tooth uno ring (thanks Mark), plus the faithful Roox Chaindog.

I've never had disc brakes before. These Hope Mono M4 seem pretty good. You can get yourself into and out of a lot of trouble with these.

To pay for it I sold my Fat Chance Buckshaver and my X lite Pro ti and quite a few other bits and pieces. I kept my old Spooky Bandwagon.

The Nicolai is an amazing bike, but I rather feel as though I've lost my (retro) identity. I'm all at sea with this modernity. I love riding it but I don't enjoy my riding more than I did on my old bikes - particularly the Fat. That said I would never taken five foot drop offs on the Fat.

What have I learned? Progress is illusory? Maybe. And there's a whole industry out there dedicated to tempting us to new things. I think I knew that already though.

Rich

Attachments

• nicolai 003.JPG
    nicolai 003.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 1,468
I can see why you were tempted! :twisted:
IMHO Nicolai make some really sexy frames with a lot of attitude and yours is no exception. Sure it's modern but it still has soul, not like a carbon fibre cut-out.

That's awesome, kind of reminds me of my old bandwagon actually... knarly frame and matt black paint. I like it!

I do like the welding and detailing on Nicolai frames, real nice! Would love to see your Spooky too if you get a chance :)

Very nice :) future classic IMO. Difference between modern and old? My take on it is that sure the FAT is nice, steel and classic but this will take you further, it may lack that steel is real feel, but sometimes/mosttimes its the ride that counts. Think TR6 on country roads or R8 on the Nurburgring, at the end of the day its all good :)

oh and loose the cage :)

Ah, yes - apologies for the saddlebag. I just put that stem on as I've been doing a lot more long XC rides on it - and I just can't get used to the 'modern' handlebars above your head mountain bike nonsense.

Here's the spooky. It's taken a beating and there's a whacking dent on the underside of the top tube. Most other frames would have buckled but this is still rock solid.

Just seen your post kaiser. What am I meant to do with my bottle? Next you be suggesting this camelbak tomfoolery...

Attachments

• spooky 002.JPG
    spooky 002.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,308
Back