Handlebars, Headset and Stem Help?

flyboyovyick

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I want to buy a new Handlebar set up from my peugeot.

All black, and black brake levers (got them sorted).

Now, i don't have a clue about sizes or what to measure when buying new handlebar stuff.

What do i measure? And could you recommend handlebars, headsets and stems that would work together?

Thanks

Are you looking to fit an old style quill stem and bar or a modern aheadset type? Assuming it's the former, here's some info:
The bit that fits into the fork steerer is a standard 22.2mm to fit inside a 1" fork steerer. Most road bikes went from 1" quill to 1.125" ahead around 11 years ago - 1.125" quill stems are relatively uncommon on road bikes.
There 3 sizes of bar/clamp diameter: 25.4, 26.0 and 26.4 - the latter 2 being most common. The likes of 3t, Modolo and ITM used 26.0 whereas Cinelli mainly used 26.4. Mix and matching between sizes is best avoidedunless you have the right size shims. Black bars and stems were most common in the late 80s early 90s. Best solution would be to find a matched pair or at least stick to the same make.

If it's anything like my pug of a similar age both the quill and bars are of a non-standard smaller diameter the best bet would be first to check the dimensions using callipers and going from there.

I am looking to fit the new style aheadset, and stem.

Ive been told that peugeots have funny sizes, i just don't know where to measure.

With handlebars is it tube diameter, width and drop?

Haven't got a clue with headset and stem.

I'm looking to get nearly everything black. eg. wheels, steering, gears, crank. And keep the frame silver.

The bars i currently have i think are not very chunky compared to the bars on my uncles Orbit. So something with a bigger tube diameter would be nice.

You'll need a new fork then, quill stems expand inside the stem locking everything in, modern headset dealies clamp onto the fork pillar.

Garuf":73rwao5k said:
You'll need a new fork then, quill stems expand inside the stem locking everything in, modern headset dealies clamp onto the fork pillar.

Or a quill to aheadset adapter, which obviously allows you use an aheadset type stem without changing headset/forks etc.

A good idea, but they don't look that tidy in my experience.

Back