Not expecting this... Ritchey Softail

rumpfy":bh72yp8h said:
...the only thing I didn't care for was the pogo action of the rear end.

I've never had any sense of pogo with mine. Sounds like you may have benefitted from a new/heavier spring.

Nice bike....euhm frame... all Ritchey's look nice to me....

looking forward to see the definate bike!

Give me such a friend...:) Most friends I have (and that are that many....) want stuff from me instead of giving me something........ :(

...keep in mind that steel doesn't have an infinite fatigue like titanium does either...

Erm, yes it does.

If you don't subject it to a force greater than the Ultimate Tensile Strength it will not break. Aluminium has a finite life, steel doesn't.

IMO due to the polished spring/suspension retaining clamp and no contrasting seat collar the frame is best complimented with a mostly polished kit.

st_169.jpg

Loving that. Has to be my 'Holy Grail' frame. :cool: Needs a Judy SL or SID on it though :D

Thank´s guys.

I´m really going to change fork, shifters, mechs, seat and seatpost, and stem/bar ...
Rumpfy, the brakes are mounted on Pace clamp-on V-brake studs. Front brake has a great feeling, no need for brake boosters or so...
I think a long travel Mag 21 with frame´s color will suit the bike perfectly. In fact, as Tintin said, softail does not mach very well with a rigid fork...

LTS, the hubs are about to be changed for some Ritchey or M900 with some Ritchey Rock 395 NOS rims i have.
These DT, however, will find a match in my TI Parkpre Pro Elite, i think.

I´ll change the chainrings for some older model (not 9spd), maybe syncros, Titec stem and bar will be changed for some Ritchey Force Lite/ Ritchey WCS bar (those old ones, in faded gold), rear mech will be changed for an M900 XTR or an old Mavic i have, front M900, XT thumbies or XTR pods with clamp, repaint those levers, change those pedals, change that AL seatpost for an older Ritchey (or leave that one... :? ) and with a Ritchey Vector red saddle i have it will look great...

... i hope...

Any other sugestion, guys?

orange71":1knvqxci said:
..keep in mind that steel doesn't have an infinite fatigue like titanium does either...
yes I wondered about that - would this bike have a normal life expectancy?

beautiful bike though! :cool: I love the red/white/blue

Well...I think it could have the potential of breaking at some point (more so than if it was titanium at least), but I've not seen or heard any solid cases of this happening to these bikes.

KHS has a similar design I believe...haven't heard anything on that front either.

I only sold mine because I didn't like the pogo effect of that rear end. Get in the wrong rhythm on the trail and it can buck you a bit.

I think the other interesting thing about Ritchey's from there era with the Red/White/Blue paint...its never the same.

My old ST.
Ritcheyst.jpg

Back