1997 Zaskar

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello people

Nothing too exciting for many here. Just a quick start to my thread: first bike I had was a tufftrax u brake, but soon spenta summer in the worst ever job to pay for an upgrade and got a fresh ball burnished GT Backwoods (1997) which I soon upgraded with Z2 bombers and D521 wheels and I loved that bike. But sold it on here a year or so back as I had grown about 5 inches since I bought it in 1997 and really needed a 19" frame.

So... this has arrived and is getting a budget build. So budget that I am going single speed to get it rideable and will then slowly get nice parts on it.

Not expecting much interest or favourable comments because it will have some shonky stuff on it but I'm really excited about it and the frame is really nice.

Pics to come but heres my Backwoods which got me lusting after a Zaskar back in the day:

Picture001.jpg

And here is the Zaskar frame:

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

Have some XT v brakes on route, got some saracen 5 piece rigid forks (which are lovely) and have a reasonable bar stem combo.

So just need a few cables and a seatpost really.

Will hopefully get it built in the next month ready for the SW ride on 17th July.

Long term plan is yellow judys and more Kore parts. Plus full XT kit.

Cheers

Loving the red! Frame looks in really nice condition! :cool:

Bet you can't wait to get it built and ride it.

I look forward to seeing your progress :D

Liking the backwoods- reminds me of my pantera I had from new and had to save like hell for in 1996, much fun to be had on the small alu gt frames :cool:

ade my boy , dont get ahead of yourself here
you have purchased one of the most iconic mtb frames ever produced
ZASKAR those who know , know mate
a nice as it evolves build is nothing to be ashamed of, do it right
and it will be the only bike you want to ride no matter how many others you have , with that you may not ride it all the time but
when you sell it it will be the standard you hold so dear

if you need anything just ask
did you buy that off of bigeck ?

Got it from roberto on here. Nice bloke to deal with. I am very excited to be honest in the flesh the frame is simply stunning. Lot of nice zaskars on here but nice to join the club at last.

zaskar

nice frame, i also had a pantera which was in my local bike shop window in 1995, had to save and hope nobody bought it. i had a kona fire mountain and the bike shop owner knew someone wanted one so he sold it for me and i got the pantera,result. just finished my zaskar, bought it on here, its all pimped out in red. hope you enjoy your build.

drew

Fish scale welds anyone:

zaskar4.jpg

These are the Saracen straight blade 5 piece forks I have at present. They are really light and by all account offer a bit of flex, so should be ideal to start. Will look into Judys later after built up to see what I prefer.

Zaskar3.jpg

In mock build mode:

Zaskar2.jpg

Zaskar.jpg

Minty Sauce":uupeop0f said:
Loving the red! Frame looks in really nice condition! :cool:

Bet you can't wait to get it built and ride it.

I look forward to seeing your progress :D

Thanks chap. Nope, cant wait. Dont think I've been as excited about a bike before, even getting my old Backwoods after a whole summer saving. I cant wait.

Sorry for the terrible photos, will get some better ones on my camera when the sun comes out and I can fettle properly (no room in the shed!)

Back