And today I did......

Gazz that last photo 17 miles to Glasgow AND back again you basa :shock:
Im right on the blower to Social Services about you.

:LOL:

technodup":yn6mnio5 said:
big.eck":yn6mnio5 said:
technodup":yn6mnio5 said:
Any of you lot got a red Audi? Saw one in Saltmarket on Sat lunchtime with a couple of bikes on it- a nice Klein on the roof. Prob an Attitude in a vluey colout. Wondered if it was a Macretro outing :)

nah a cannie see it , am sure only me tazio and kaiser are the only 3 with kleins up here and all our's are lesser models :LOL:

did you get a pic ? :cool:
Nah, I chased it for a bit and caught it at the lights, then made a point of crossing at the green man right in front of them so they could see the splendour of mine :oops:

Didn't even glance at it- did that cool nonchalant thing I'm so good at :)

oh christ youve got a klein too :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

RobMac":hetfqzf8 said:
Gazz that last photo 17 miles to Glasgow AND back again you basa :shock:
Im right on the blower to Social Services about you.

:LOL:

He wanted to do it again, lots of spirit.....he has! :LOL:

:( paint stripping weight loss...............a paltry 50g now 1540g. Everything I've got for this one has came in slightly overweight* :roll:

*including me :LOL:

What in me? :eek: I'm thinking of going with some front suspension, mibee a SID. I've been looking at carbon forks but nothing is jumping out, the trigon ones I had in mind are a tricky fit and I'm not sure I need another rigid singlespeed :roll:

Phoned Customs people about my missing parcel. They are very nice people.
I also informed them that the post office keeps on blaming them for missing/late items.
They knew and wish they would stop doing that as most items don't stay long with them a day at most.
My Suntour NOS cassette arrived from the USA. Customs missed it so no charges :D
Still no Smoke lite :cry:

Trip away

Just back from a few days on Scotland with the road bike.

Thursday headed to Tomintoul as a base, staying in the Glen Avon Hotel, £33/night B&B, en-suite, nice big friendly bar serving food downstairs.

Two vast empty hotels on the other sides of the village square suggest tough times for Tomintoul:

IMG_3314 by therealkw15, on Flickr

The Richmond Hotel, yours for £150,000. Or for £200,000, The Gordon Hotel:

IMG_3313 by therealkw15, on Flickr

Bargains- both just shut very recently.

Anyway, On Thursday it lashed rain all day, and finally I snapped and set off out in it to Dufftown, a forty mile round trip. However it became a 22 mile trip as the sheer miserableness of the rain got me down. I was going to revisit the Lecht, but instead on Friday I headed for Cairn Gorm and cycled up to the ski station, which was more of a grunt than I expected. Careered downhill at great speed, trusting in the integrity of my machine.

Then it started to rain again, so I headed south to Edinburgh, as I was to do the St Andrews Bike Run the next day, for the 10th or 11th time. The rain got worse as I headed south.

I stayed at my pal Karl's flat, with Karl also doiing the run the next day. We trained like true athletes by going to a beer festival in Adam House, then adding a few pints on the way home.

I was up bright and early at 7, as I needed to meet my friend Siobhan and her daughter at Waverley, to show them the way to Inverleith Park, the start point, where we met Karl once more. It started to rain half-heartedly, but the wind wasn't bad- great turnout, and free energy gels and bike help from the Edinburgh Bike Co-op.

The route heads out Queensferry Road then takes the slip road before the A90 to Dalmeny, then over the road bridge to Rosyth. Food stop there, and I wondered how my balding back tyre was doing.

It was doing badly:

tyre by therealkw15, on Flickr

But remarkably it stood up to the next 58 miles, with that picture being taken on arrival back in Orkney. I didn't use the back brake much, and avoided anything that wasn't smooth.

It started to rain wholeheartedly, though the drag up the Cleish Hills was enjoyable due to the sheltering from any wind by the trees.

Img_3317 by therealkw15, on Flickr

A careful descent, then into Kinross for some nosebag at the halfway point- tea, soup and sandwiches in the Scout Hall.

Setting off again, it had stopped raining, so we tootled steadily along past the Balgedie Toll Tavern, through Strathmiglo where Karl accidentally gave some some people bum directions when had a short stop. It was okay though- we never saw them again.

Then on through Falkland, passing the Pillars of Hercules on the way, thus almost encountering Mikey et al., and to Freuchie for tea and buns. It really started raining again after this.

Then came the hill of the day, the Kettle Hill. I attacked it with vigour leaving dozens toiling in my wake, before recalling that it turned and was actually twice as long as you could see at the bottom. I went into the red with the effort of not appearing though I was in the red, but made it to the top with dignity intact. The road then contours very pleasantly along the side of the hills, before dropping down to Chance Inn, then joining (I think) the B939 for a long straightish run into St Andrews, finishing at the bandstand at the seafront.

From Waverley, a distance of 70 miles, and a great effort by Megan, 14 year old member of our group.

finsh1 by therealkw15, on Flickr

Above: Siobhan, Karl, me, Megan

The Bike Co-op dispensed goody bags each containing a water bottle, which was nice of them, and after a couple of pints we headed back to Edinburgh on hired buses, the bikes heading back in hired removal vans.

A great day out!

Back