Stripping....

totti

Retrobike Rider
... a GT Aggressor.

I recently bought this off ebay with the intention of building up a good bike for the mrs, it appears to be a 2003 model - the bike not the mrs.

Advert wasn't misleading in anyway, however the guy had owned it from new and only once i had parted money for it, I realised what a massive job off restoring it would be...

Anyway, I looking for advice on restoring the frame. It is an aluminium frame, painted a silver colour, so what would be the best thing to do to get it looking ball-burnished like a Zaskar.
Is it possible to do myself?

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated. Even it is to tell me I've bought a pig...

Cheers!!

Nitromors to get the paint off, some wire wool, autosol, a polishing mop that fits on a drill :cool: and many hours of tedious polishing.

If you have the patience, and you will need a lot of it then the above suggestion is perfect. I have done an already polished GT and it was a lot of work and I didn't have to strip paint.
All those little dinks n marks will show up really bad once you give it any sort of shine. You are gonna have to work down through some fine grit paper to clean it up well.

I have also done one an easier way which was to get it media blasted which leaves a pretty good satin/matt alu finish which you can usually just polish over the top of and the blasting process can remove some of the marks for you.

Nitromors is good but it might be the same cost as finding a guy to media blast it in his lunch hour or something..

Back