Hei Hei – picked up yesterday.

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After searching the World Wide Web for a very long time for an 18” 1999 Hei Hei, I finally stumbled across this 1998 last Saturday on a Plymouth based cycling enthusiast’s site. Thanks Google… page 13 as I recall!
I have only popped this picture up for now “As is” the morning after getting it home – as you can see, it is in fine fettle with fairly intact original decals.
When it is finished to my own preferred build, I can post it on the Kona Owner’s Thread.

As far as I can establish, all Hei Heis with a KH prefix are the same geometry, and only the decals determine the year being either ‘98 &’99 – along with the sequential serial number. Mine is KH18022.

I would like to thank all of the Kona experts who regularly contribute to this site, without whom I would not have acquired my current knowledge on all things Kona – particularly the titanium models.

Anthony, andrewl, Caramba Kid, DM, FluffyChicken, Kona Paul, konaman1, letmetalktomark, mousemat, Neil G, Tallpaul… Apologies to anyone that I’ve missed.

I would say that this bike now probably completes what has clearly turned into a collection…. Well maybe a ’97 Explosif or Kilauea….

Cheers to everyone.

Pip.

Attachments

• 98 Hei Hei_18.jpg
    98 Hei Hei_18.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 2,442
nice find :cool:

its nice too see someone get what they have been looking for ,well worth the wait.

stubbsy :D

Cheers stubbsy, you’ve no doubt done the same yourself.

It was beginning to look like the only way was to import from the U.S. and pay H.M.R.C. a big wedge :roll: It was only by chance that I clicked on just one more page of my well-practiced Google search. The bike make & model wasn’t actually documented within the advert title, and I hadn’t even come across that particular forum before.

Pip

Attachments

• 98 Hei Hei _18f.jpg
    98 Hei Hei _18f.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 2,404
That is stunning, i don't think id change a single thing, what are you looking to change on it? one of my all time favourite bikes. :LOL: :LOL:

Just in the process of trying to negotiate a 2000 Hei Hei in America, ( 1st year with disc mounts )i cant believe people wont go out of there way for a sale, he refusing to post out, ( dodgy people on dodgy forums )so now asking if i can send a courier in to collect.

Thank you guys very much.

I was thinking maybe it deserves a Middleburn Crankset.

graham1975":23tzya73 said:
Just in the process of trying to negotiate a 2000 Hei Hei in America, ( 1st year with disc mounts )i cant believe people wont go out of there way for a sale, he refusing to post out, ( dodgy people on dodgy forums )so now asking if i can send a courier in to collect.

Is this the frame that you are referring to? I started a thread with a view to gleaning more information from the gurus on here - but I'm fairly sure that I am correct that this is one of the last made.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Pip.

You may like to contact one of the guys in the U.S. who are willing to have the frame shipped to them over there, and then onto you. There are a few posts on this thread that offer some help.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... &start=465

B.T.W. I had a frame sent over by USPS for $70 USD (£45 at the time) Oct. ‘09. It was packed in a curious, but clever way that kept it within some dimensions that resulted in keeping the cost down. I can send you a photo of the parcel if you like?

Pip

Back