Classic Touring frames and toptube lengh help....

ScottishRetro

Devout Dirtbag
Well where to start????

Ive been looking for a touring/Sportif bike for the last few months and have come up blank as to finding something that fit's my stupid body.. I have a long torso, short legs and arms :shock: I dont look out of proportion but I am lol....

Problem I am having is with toptube lengh regards to frame sizing, im around a 52-54 frame size my inseam is around 28" but im finding that toptube lenghs on modern stuff in a 54 frame will give me a 55-56 top tube... I really need something in the area of 52.5 or 53 and work a stem around that... Most frames with a toptube lengh in the size I need will be like a 49 :roll:

So is there any frames that people could think of that would give me something like a 54 frame with a 53 toptube that will float around in the retro arena??

Its going to be built up with modern ish kit and I may even go with STI levers but this isnt set instone... And yes I know bar end shifters for reliablity etc etc but fancy a change :D

Ray

When you say 52-54 frame size is that a traditional horizontal top tube frame or modern sloping top tube? Although not retro in any way my Kinesis TK2 is great frame. Their 54cm size which I have gives a top tube of 55.6 whereas the 48cm has a 52.5 top tube.

I'm guessing the need for a longer wheelbase on a tourer makes the top tube a bit longer. In classic racing bike geometry you'd be spot on with a 52cm frame giving a 53cm top tube.

I did notice when I was looking around for my new frame that the modern trend seems to be for longer top tubes. Someone has to say it so I will, you could always go custom and get the perfect fit. Painful on the money side but comfortable as you can be actually on the bike!

Oh by the way, what height are you?

Mark.

Im 5'9" on a good day ;)

I have thought about custom but if im honest I just can't put that type of cash into a frame at the moment sadly...

Im hoping that a touring frame will have a longer rear triangle rather than a longer TT hence giving a longer wheelbase but im far from a frame designer so im just guessing...

A bike I did look at was the Jamis Aurora Elite (A usa galaxy) 631 tube etc etc but TT was just to long in a 53 frame..

Im after a fast tourer if im honest so Sportif/Audax frames are probably what im after, something that will take a rake and mudguards. Not really after a World tourer where I will be taking the kitchen sink.. :D

I guess im just hoping someone will say oh yeah I had the same problem try and find a (INSERT NAME) frame from 1980-1991 sort of thing...

I'd go to a decent dealer and get a fitting done. While they charge you, it's cheaper than a mistake and they usually give it for free if you buy a bike. At least then you'll have a set of measurements you can work with to see if anything else will fit.

Back