Guess XC1 scandium... any info on these frames? *pics up*

good luck with the build, theres something magic about a lightweight xc whippet, they beg to be thrashed.

Caramba Kid":3g1tq60u said:
:LOL: remove the canti studs and it's identical to my 2003 Rock Lobster Team Scandium.
19" frame @ 1330g or 2lb 15oz
Will post up some photos tonight ;)

Mine is still going strong after 8 years of commuting / light trail use.

thatss a nice clean build Caramba, and your Easton forks are immense! what model are they?

I've had to halt progress due to a lack of funds, but have cobbled it together with odds and sods, so it all looks a bit pick n mix :eek:

sdc16991.jpg

Nice bits are the XT hollowtech cranks and middleburn hardcoat chainrings, WTB Ti saddle, XTR front mech, and hope bits.

Waiting for my pazzaz carbon flat bars, kcnc scandium stem, conti speedking supersonic tyres, foam grips, some 200g flat pedals from china (ooh er), and after seeing the trigon forks above, maybe some of them too :LOL: but first I'll have to sell the pace forks...

My XC1

Just found this thread while Googling my bike.

I've had the frame for a couple years and built it up last year into a right cracker. It's faster than some road bikes I've owned - and lighter too!

Highly recommend the frame, and it's not as flimsy as it sounds either. I've got my bike on ebay at the moment but will quite happily take it back if nobody is interested. Really nice frame you have there.

Main points to note:
Custom lightened SID Race Titanium forks with carbon crown
SRAM X9 & X0 gear train
RaceFace DeusXC chain set
FSA carbon stem & Syntace carbon bars
Hope M4 calipers, titanium coated rotors
Titanium post with SLK seat
Mavic 717 rims, Hope hubs, Continental Grand Prix tyres

Attachments

• IMG_0731new.jpg
    IMG_0731new.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 2,249
You've built that up with some nice components, obviously extremely light :eek: good luck selling it, it seems not many people are aware of these frames though, as I found trying to sell mine.
Due to lack of interest in the frame, I've decided I'm keeping mine for a few events, and winter training.

Here's what it looks like currently...

imag1238.jpg

Hi, I've just got a brand-new Guess XC1 frame (apparently the last one Rock&Roll/Onza had) which I'm hoping to build up into my first 'decent' bike. After initially being blown away by how light it is compared to my current bike. I've started looking for components to start building it up.

What headset have people used for these frames? Rock&Roll said it was built for an integrated headset (and it has what looks like 45 degree bearing surfaces machined in the headtube), but it's 44mm ID/50mm OD and I can't find an integrated headset that size anywhere. It's the right size for a 44mm zero-stack internal headset, but it would need to be a very shallow one as the 'bearing surfaces' in the head tube are only 3.5mm from the ends.

The other thing is the seat tube is 30mm OD, which doesn't leave much choice on seat clamps. Rock&Roll sell a bespoke clamp for this frame but it's a bolt type, and I'd quite like a QR. Has anyone got any suggestions for a 30mm QR seat clamp?

buzby":2p2jxx7d said:
The other thing is the seat tube is 30mm OD, which doesn't leave much choice on seat clamps. Rock&Roll sell a bespoke clamp for this frame but it's a bolt type, and I'd quite like a QR. Has anyone got any suggestions for a 30mm QR seat clamp?

I'd get a Salsa Flip Lock, comes in 30.0 & blue that matches the frame.

blinkin flip, you sure that frame is not soo small for you? :shock: not seen that much seat post extension for a while...... plus the disc rotors look unnecessarily big - I bet I weigh more than you and mange on 160/160 and on 160/140 (cross country stuff, no mad downhilling)

img_0731new_699.jpg

Well, I've eventually managed to build the frame up. Most of the components were transferred over from my other bike (a Motiv alloy framed job from Costco that had been progressively upgraded over the years until only the frame was original) so they aren't exactly 'ultra-high end' (the TK30 forks weigh more than the frame...), but it will do for now.
guessxc1-2.jpg

The biggest problem, as I mentioned in my last post, is the headset. No ACB-based semi-integrated/internal headset I found would fit the oddly-shaped headtube (and I ended up buying a few, which will eventually end up in the 'For Sale' section):
xc1ht.jpg

I tried a few cartridge bearing-based ones too and only one of them was shallow enough and had the correct angle at the bottom to fit, but the ID of the top end of the headtube was too large for it to be secure (incorrectly-machined, I think - maybe why they are boing sold off?). Rock&Roll had a cartidge bearing headset that was listed as suitable for the Guess frames, but it is out of stock (discontinued, I expect).

What I ended up doing was taking an FSA ZS3 and reprofiling the back of the cups to fit against the angle of the 'bearing surface' that can be seen in the above photo (it was easier than modifying the headtube, and safer). The fit in the top of the headtube still wasn't great (it could be pressed in by hand) but shimming the inside face of the tube with thin aluminium tape sorted that out.

Another question: does anyone know if an 'Extra Lite SC7 Scandium' tubeset decal is available anywhere?
sc7-small.gif

The one that came on the frame is a 'clear bubble' type which isn't flexible enough to stay stuck on the curved tubes. I asked a framebiulder in the US who had used the same tubeset if they had any left over, but they hadn't use the decals. I've seen a very nice cast/enamelled one used on some Mosso scandium frames from Taiwan, but I wouldn't know where to start to find one.
sc7-2.jpg

Back