Bottom bracket unscrewing has locked the crank?

steveparry

Dirt Disciple
I recently bought a bike which had been built up from a new steel Italian frame from Ricci cycles in Cornwall. The bike had done only a few miles. Today I was riding when the cranks locked solid. The back wheel continues to roll forward no problem but it won't turn backwards of course. On looking at the crank area I see the bottom bracket has unscrewed itself several turns... I guess this caused the locking. See photos:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2237/210 ... e9fe45.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2225/210 ... 9ff589.jpg

How do I repair this? I'm guessing I'll have to do it like this: 1 Undo the crank bolt (Centaur) with my 8mm allen key - hope this hasn't locked too. 2 Then I'll have to buy a crank extractor to take it off completely. 3 Buy a b bracket tool to screw it in again? Would this be right? I presume it unscrewed itself because the original DIYer didn't torque it up properly? Or perhaps, because its an Italian threaded Veloce bracket with a right-hand thread, it came loose because he didn't put some kind of loctite on the threads? Campag say that frames should have a drainage hole when using their brackets. I don't see one on this frame - is this a problem? Any help appreciated. Steve

Assuming you aren't too far from the shop you got it from, take it back and ask them to fix it.

It should be a reletively simple job of correctly torquing it up.

Drain hole wise, to drain the frame just remove the cable guide bole every now and then and that will be sufficient.

steveparry":2ub7bfzh said:
On looking at the crank area I see the bottom bracket has unscrewed itself several turns... I guess this caused the locking.

Or perhaps, because its an Italian threaded Veloce bracket with a right-hand thread, it came loose because he didn't put some kind of loctite on the threads?

This is a perenial problem with Italian threaded bottom brackets and it's not difficult to sort out.

Incidentally my mate rode a mountainous sportive in Italy and had to stop frequently in the last 50 miles to hand tighten his Italian threaded b/b - unfortunately I was too tired to be smug (he always scolds me for my mechanical hamfistedness but then he does usually have a point)

BB

Hi, its a good idea to buy the crank extractor and a BB tool for future DIY. If youre careful, you can strip the whole lot down before and after the winter and keep it greasy.
The top tip for BB stuff is to make sure everything is on the right threads - the BB, cup and the crank extractor. And make sure the BB tool is sitting in well.
Rump the BB and cup right up, it can take it. I never use loctite, even with Italian BB's - just grease - its the 'tightness' that will hold it. I have yet to do one of these new style 2 piece things with the outboard bearings but I'm sure its the same principle.

Happy riding.

Re: crank

Thanks for all your help. Think I'll take it to the local mechanic who can also fit a new cassette for me while their at it. Can do without buying four tools inc chain whip and cassette extractor at the moment!

Steve

Back